2000 mustang gt driver side window doesnt sit flush when closed help please. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

2000 mustang gt driver side window doesnt sit flush when closed help please.

I have a 2000 mustang gt and my driver side door window does not seat properly at the top where it meets the rubber seal at the top I can't seem to figure out why its doing this if I close the door with the window up it will seal only if I push it shut by the glass on the rear top of the window what can this be from please help thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

I dunno, man. How big is the gap?
Does the door shut properly? There's no way I'm aware of to adjust the glass, so you'd have to adjust the door hinges. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but no big deal.

Unless the problem is with the seal.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010
Rookie

I'm having the same problem. Does the window sound weird when its closing as well?

1999 GT Black. All stock.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Sometimes it does not all the time I think it might be the seal
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Sounds like the window has come loose from the regulator, a common problem with our year cars. The rear part of the regulator will come unglued from the window causing it to push the rear of the window up and then it will not sit in the door gasket but a little above it. It extreme cases it will hit the roof.
To check take the door panel off and roll up the window and if it is loose you will see what I am talking about. There are several fixes for this, one is to but a new window and regulator (the expensive option). Another option is to re-glue the window to the regulator with some window adhesive that you can get at just about any auto parts store, (3M makes the best product). I went a little further on mine so I don't have to worry about it repeating itself.
If the window is loose you will see that the window stop is located at the rear of the door and it stops on the rear of the regulator, when the window is loose this causes the regulator to pivot on the rivet that attaches the track that the window sits in, therefore causing the window to roll up to much (you will see what I mean when you watch the window roll up). I drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a 1/4" nut and bolt. I then added a #10 screw and nut just below the 1/4" nut and bolt that I replaced the rivet with. The #10 screw will keep the window stop from trying the pivot the window. Then I re-glued the window to the regulator with the window adhesive.
I used to have pictures but I cannot seem to find them.....

2013 GT Brembo Black, 3:73, 6-Speed, GT500's, Urethan Shift Bushing, 8 Ball Shifter, J&M LCA's & PHB, Eibach Pro springs, SR Performance F/R Adj Sway bars, KONI Orange Struts & Shocks, SCT S4/XF4 tuner w/BAMA tunes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

ok guys i looked in the door panel to see the metal peice that holds the window thats glued to it came loose i tried an epoxy but it didnt work what type of glue or adhesive should i use. thanks guys
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Epoxy does not stick to glass very well (as you have found out) you will have to get some window adhesive. Be sure to drill out the rivert and replace it with a 1/4" screw and bolt so that it will stop pivoting. Also you can add a #10 screw and nut next to where the 1/4" screw and nut are to keep the moment induced by the location of the window stop from trying to pivot the regulator

2013 GT Brembo Black, 3:73, 6-Speed, GT500's, Urethan Shift Bushing, 8 Ball Shifter, J&M LCA's & PHB, Eibach Pro springs, SR Performance F/R Adj Sway bars, KONI Orange Struts & Shocks, SCT S4/XF4 tuner w/BAMA tunes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Its an issue with the regulator, sometimes you can jiggle it a bit and fix it, but likely you'll have to take the door panel off and realign and/or see if there's a problem with the regulator.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

can you possibly get any pictures so i can see what you are saying here with the screws and bolts. thanks
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I did a drawing of what I did, let me see if I still have those...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page