problem with caliper/wheel/? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

problem with caliper/wheel/?

Hello everybody. so i've been hearing a slight scraping noise coming from my passenger rear wheel for the past few weeks or so, and it has recently gotten louder. i've noticed more built-up brake dust on the inside of the wheel than the others. the caliper is pretty darn black as well, darker than the fronts and a good bit darker than the drivers rear caliper. when i press the brakes, it sounds like a slight grind, but i can't feel it in the brake pedal itself that much. i jacked up both sides and found out that it was harder to turn than the other (it was pretty hard anyway because of the diff?) so it seemed like the pass rear was harder to turn (the one with the suspected problem).

anybody have any ideas? its weird how there would be more brake dust and the caliper would be black. it seems like a caliper might be seized? any way to help or fix that? would cleaning it with brake parts cleaner, or anything at all help the problem? am i looking at a costly fix? maybe i need new brake pads? i'm driving 150 miles away to bethany beach on saturday...

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Like you said, its probably the caliper. A new caliper isn't too expensive. Itll be around 70$ at your local parts store, with a core exchange. But the scraping might be because the seized caliper is just running that sides pad all the way down to medal, so changing the pads is a good idea too.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I went through the same thing on the same side a few months back. My caliper was fine, but the slider pins for it were seized up, so the caliper couldn't move like it's supposed to. Yours sounds a little more serious than mine though, because mine never got hot enough to turn the caliper black.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

it turns out i needed new pads all around and new front rotors. i should have gotten the rear rotors, but i honestly could not afford it all. 760 dollars. i should've just waited and got the parts myself, but the disc was ground down A LOT. they resurfaced them and couldn't do the entire resurface job on the bad one, there's still a groove on the far outside of the disc from where something was digging in before.

the car isn't braking very well. it is a slow brake, and requires some good force to bring it to a halt quickly. is it the new rotors on the front and ceramic pads they put on?

2002 Mustang GT 5 speed: Mach 1 grille delete, K&N drop-in air filter, 75mm BBK throttle body, ported C&L plenum, UPR upper and lower control arms, KYB shocks/struts, McLeod Super Street Pro clutch kit, AM firewall adjuster, MM clutch quadrant, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Bassani catted x pipe, Flowmaster weld-in 40's, SCT 93 octane Bama tune
SOLD
for...
2013 Mustang GT 6 speed: GT Track Package, 301A Tech Package, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Axleback, Steeda Shifter Bushing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page