Wierd Noises and Smells... need a little expertise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

Wierd Noises and Smells... need a little expertise

This is kind of a difficult thing to use the search function for since the adjectives used to describe it are a little odd...

the 03 GT started making this wierd noise every time it hits about 1600 rpms, in any gear, even neutral. i can give it a little throttle and hold it around 1600 and it just "clanks"... it sounds like something rattling around or, well, it's difficult to describe. the sound is coming from underneath the center of the car (i think), so i'm assuming something with the drivetrain... i don't think it's the tranny since it's independent of gear selection

then when i got out of the car after trying to find the sound (difficult by myself) i smelled this burning smell, like rubber or electrical or oil or something... i know i'm being vague, it's just difficult to put into words, the smell isn't super strong, but you can tell it's there for sure... no, there's no smoke that i can tell...

anyone have any guesses as to what it is or any suggestions as to what i can do to help narrow down the search? i'm about to go back out now, jack it up (yes, i'll be using stands), and have the wife hit the pedal and see if i can get any answers....

2004 White V6 - sold
2000 Green GT - totaled
1999 Green V6 'Vert - sold
1990 Black GT - sold
1990 Red LX - sold
2003 Grey GT - sold
1991 Blue LX 5.0 - really more of a pile of parts at this point...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

after further inspection, it seems to be the loudest right at the center of the X in my x-pipe, right by the cats... if i go to the engine compartment i can't hear it at all, if i go too far back then the exhaust is too loud to hear it... i realized the smell is just my exhaust, apparently when concentrated in a tight space it's pretty bad for you j/k

i'm thinking that it's something wrong with the cats... i'm searching for that online next... my cats are a little dented (must have been the previous owner...) and they were throwing the MIL (had to buy MIL elims)...

any more thoughts? is it really the cats? do i need to replace them if it is? how do i make the noise stop?....

2004 White V6 - sold
2000 Green GT - totaled
1990 Black GT - sold
1990 Red LX - sold
2003 Grey GT - sold
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010
PONY Member

Take a hammer/mallet and bang on the cats, I think you'll find your answer. Definitely sounds like a bad cat to me.

Skip

2002 GT MG Vert

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

yeah, thanks for your help... after a good amount of searching with a little better criteria i'm almost positive that what it is... i'll try the hammer technique here in a minute and see what happens... more to come...

2004 White V6 - sold
2000 Green GT - totaled
1990 Black GT - sold
1990 Red LX - sold
2003 Grey GT - sold
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

so i banged on the cats and it seems it's the passenger side that is the problem, i can hear a slight rattle when i hit it, i'm assuming the engine just makes it a lot louder...

so, is there a method to gutting the cats that's effective and won't hurt anything?

if i have to replace the mid-pipe that raises a lot more questions regarding exhaust set up...

* should i replace the bbk shorties with long-tubes at the same time, are there significant gains to be had in that department and is it worth the cost?

thanks a lot for any help, i realize i've been posting a lot in a short amount of time, so it's time to sit back and let the responses and expertise wow me into spending a lot of money...

2004 White V6 - sold
2000 Green GT - totaled
1990 Black GT - sold
1990 Red LX - sold
2003 Grey GT - sold
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If just the out side heat shield is rattling,place two metal clamps together and place around the cat. This holds the shield tight eliminatiing the noise. The cat still may be ok.

License and registration please.

Current rides:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

verygood point, it might be the heat shield that is rattling
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
GT Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to Nicks79 Send a message via Yahoo to Nicks79 Send a message via Skype™ to Nicks79
sounds like you have everything you need to justify an upgrade

1997 Mustang GT- DOHC, Termec T-45, LT Headers, Bassani O/R X, Tri-ax, 3.73s, JLT CAI, BAMA tune

1979 Mustang Ghia
2003 Mustang GT
1996 Volvo 850 T5

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member

i'm pretty sure it's the cats since i smell what seems to be more fuel in the exhuast, maybe it's my imagination... however, i ordered the long tubes and midpipe, they should be here tomorrow along with a new zex wet nitrous kit and some hood lifting struts.... i love upgrading... standby for what i assume will be multiple posts regarding long tube header install problems

2004 White V6 - sold
2000 Green GT - totaled
1990 Black GT - sold
1990 Red LX - sold
2003 Grey GT - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page