Need help with Predator tuner - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Exclamation Need help with Predator tuner

To make a long story short, I had my mustang sent in to have a sensor replaced and while they were working on my car they flashed my computer which erased my custom dyno tune. I realized this while on the drag strip when I noticed that my shift points were off and I was running significantly slower times. So I hooked up my Predator to make sure it wasn't saying anything that I didn't recognize and sure enough I was confused when it gave me the option to "Install Tune".

My question is does my Predator always have the "Install Tune" option even if u already have a tune installed or does it give me this option bc my computer was flashed and the tuner recognizes that I don't currently have a tune programmed into my mustang? I got the dyno tune a year ago and I am not very experienced with the tuner in the first place so I am not sure.....At first it gave me the Performance 93 octane tune that came with my Predator but even that is no where to be found. Can anyone shed some light on my confusion?

2004 Mustang GT 40th Anniversary
Bassani o/r x-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Mufflers, K&N CAI, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Trick Flow 70mm Throttle Body and Plenum with Throttle Body Spacer, SCT 93 custom tune, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Eibach Pro Damper Shocks/Struts, Steeda Billet T-Handle Shift Knob, Sport Comp II Oil Pressure/Air Fuel Ratio Pillar Gauges, 03/04 Cobra Front Bumper, 18x10 (rear) 18x9 (front) Black 95 Style Cobra R Wheels, Nitto NT555 Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
PONY Member

predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve04 View Post
To make a long story short, I had my mustang sent in to have a sensor replaced and while they were working on my car they flashed my computer which erased my custom dyno tune. I realized this while on the drag strip when I noticed that my shift points were off and I was running significantly slower times. So I hooked up my Predator to make sure it wasn't saying anything that I didn't recognize and sure enough I was confused when it gave me the option to "Install Tune".

My question is does my Predator always have the "Install Tune" option even if u already have a tune installed or does it give me this option bc my computer was flashed and the tuner recognizes that I don't currently have a tune programmed into my mustang? I got the dyno tune a year ago and I am not very experienced with the tuner in the first place so I am not sure.....At first it gave me the Performance 93 octane tune that came with my Predator but even that is no where to be found. Can anyone shed some light on my confusion?

i have the predator also...if you scroll to options it should tell you what tune its reading....

last tune written,,,vin number stuff like that

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ok so I went into options and it said that the last tune written was the custom dyno tune that i had made last summer, so im assuming that means that when it says "last tune written" that its the tune that is currently installed into my mustang? the reason i ask is bc my computer was flashed at ford which should have erased the tune so I pulled out my predator and hit "install tune". i just want to make sure that i am using the predator correctly.

Bassani o/r x-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Mufflers, K&N CAI, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Trick Flow 70mm Throttle Body and Plenum with Throttle Body Spacer, SCT 93 custom tune, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Eibach Pro Damper Shocks/Struts, Steeda Billet T-Handle Shift Knob, Sport Comp II Oil Pressure/Air Fuel Ratio Pillar Gauges, 03/04 Cobra Front Bumper, 18x10 (rear) 18x9 (front) Black 95 Style Cobra R Wheels, Nitto NT555 Tires

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010
PONY Member

help

are you sure they flash the pcm?

did they maybe just reset the pcm for a check engine light from sensor replacement which shouldnt bother the tune...

its been awhile since i played with my tuner cause car has been trouble free..i do recall seeing install tune but i also think you build the tune before you install tune,,but than i also recall having a second chance ,are u sure type of thing before anything will even change with tuner writing to pcm
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

If they reflashed the pcm, I don't think the predator would work on your car at all. Does it still give you the option to "restore original backup"? Do you have that custom tune saved on a hard drive anywhere?

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010
PONY Member

help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxbrad View Post
If they reflashed the pcm, I don't think the predator would work on your car at all. Does it still give you the option to "restore original backup"? Do you have that custom tune saved on a hard drive anywhere?
thats what i was thinking ,,,not sure if it says married or not like when buying a used tuner that wont work....

i dont what to tell you to do something also...

im using the 93 performance tune with some changes,,,,

im trying to remember if it goes to like a default setting when scrolling thru to modify tune...

example....stock rear is 355 gears...i have 373 now and changed it in the tune...than if i scroll thru to make a new tune it should now go to 373 as a default setting....i will plug mine in tonite and check...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010
PONY Member

Quote:

If the dealer did indeed reflash your PCM, then your tuner is now non-functional as it sits.

If you fax a copy of the dealer work order/invoice to Diablo @ 561-908-0048 & then give them a shout within an hour (800-531-5484) with your tuner powered up & connected to your PC with internet access they can fix it up for you right there.

Jonathan McDonald
LatemodelRestoration.com
Your 1979 Mustang to 2012 Mustang Parts Source
Phone (254) 296-6500
We will price match any reputable company's advertised pricing on any product we carry!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well to correct myself, I am not 100% sure if they flashed the pcm or not. I had them replace my DPFE sensor and when I went to the strip to race my car that same night I realized that my shift points had changed from what they were before I had the sensor replaced. Then when I hooked up my Predator and saw that it gave me the option to "Install Tune", I just assumed that they must have flashed the pcm since I didn't think that my tuner would give me the option to install a tune if I already had one installed.

Also, and I don't know if this is normal after installing a custom tune onto the Predator, the original 93 octance performance tune that the tuner comes with is no where to be found on the Predator. But when I selected "Install Tune" after thinking that Ford flashed my pcm the tuner went thru step by step installation on the screen and evidently re-installed the last written tune recorded on the Predator. I just hope that I am using my tuner the correct way...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010
PONY Member

Quote:
Well to correct myself, I am not 100% sure if they flashed the pcm or not. I had them replace my DPFE sensor and when I went to the strip to race my car that same night I realized that my shift points had changed from what they were before I had the sensor replaced. Then when I hooked up my Predator and saw that it gave me the option to "Install Tune", I just assumed that they must have flashed the pcm since I didn't think that my tuner would give me the option to install a tune if I already had one installed.

Also, and I don't know if this is normal after installing a custom tune onto the Predator, the original 93 octance performance tune that the tuner comes with is no where to be found on the Predator. But when I selected "Install Tune" after thinking that Ford flashed my pcm the tuner went thru step by step installation on the screen and evidently re-installed the last written tune recorded on the Predator. I just hope that I am using my tuner the correct way...
If you were able to tune the car, then the dealership did not reflash your PCM. If your custom tune is no longer saved to the device, have your tuner email the file to you & you can re-load it to the handheld.

Jonathan McDonald
LatemodelRestoration.com
Your 1979 Mustang to 2012 Mustang Parts Source
Phone (254) 296-6500
We will price match any reputable company's advertised pricing on any product we carry!
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:

After my dyno tune the only option that comes up is to load that tune. I lost all the programed tunes and do not even see where to restore my orginal tune not that I can run it with my mods

2002 GT Auto Vert / MHS Stage II Cams, C&L Plenum, C&L Inlet Pipe, C&L 85mm MAF w/CAI, BBK 75mm TB, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow CB & cated-X, MSD COPs, Diablosport, FRPP 4.10 gears, March SFI UDP, Ebiach springs, Bilstein and MMR suspension, Amsoil synthetic oil, ATF, and gear lube /
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page