1996 Mustang GT is losing coolant. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

1996 Mustang GT is losing coolant.

i have a 96 mustang gt 4.6 liter v-8,i caqnt figure out why it is loosing coolant out of the reservoir cap,ive done everything i know howto do.ive had people tell me the intake gasket has a exhaust leak into the coolant causing pressure to build up in the system,and ive been told the the head gasket could be leaking an the exhaust side of the gasket.but i have no water in the oil or no oil in the water.and i have no white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes,i dont want to spend money on the wrong thing so does anyone have any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Hiya, welcome to the site.

You'll get more answers here than in the introduction forum.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
Apprentice

Does your coolant reservoir have an exhaust smell to it?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

yes

it does have an exhaust smell to it.i can fill it up with coolant and let it sit idle until the fan cut s on a couple of times,and it only pushes a little coolant out,but when i go to drive it thats when it starts to push it out,it does it real bad in stop and go traffic,but on highway riding the coolant last longer.im hoping its just the intake gasket..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

yes sir it sure does,i just dont know what it could be,the oil is clean no bubbles or discolor at all.but my coolant gets nasty looking but it dont look like oil.and the motor isnt misfiring or knocking.the idle seems a little rough when i accelerate the engine a little bit.like when i rev it to around the 2000 rpm mark and let go it boggs down slightly.im just tryin to get a good idea of what it could be before i go spend alot of money on getting the wrong thing fixed.ive changed everything out waterpump,thermostst,the upper and lower hoses,temperature control switch,pcv valve,and i have flushed the system several times.:?::?::?:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

the manifolds are very common to crack look at urs at the filler neck where your temp sensor is and thats where they usually crack if you need a new one and want a upgrade i have the trickflow trackheat for sale the came on the bullit but the trick's are ported bigger if you want pm for details. but check ur mani out

cams, and all basic bolt ons, arizen seats, cowl hood, and now my buckets got a hole in it (meaning im broke) but when i fix it ill have gears and some trany work
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

would that cause my cooling system to build up with pressure and push the coolant out of the pressure cap on my coolant tank? i dont see any coolant coming out anywhere near the manifold.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010
Apprentice

A crack in the head, head gasket giving out but if u say it has an exhaust smell you might want to get that checked out. exhaust pressure is escaping from somewhere take care of it asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page