P0171-P0174 after plenum & T/B install - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

P0171-P0174 after plenum & T/B install

96 GT with complete PI motor swap, shorty equal lengths, o/r x, flowmaster cat back, trickflow plenum, trickflow 75mm t/b, k&n intake. TPS sensor was set at 0.999, battery was reset and car idle high for alittle then surge then idle at ~800 then idle rough then threw codes P0171 and P0174. Checked for vaccum leaks as this was the most common result when researched none where found. Fuel filter was changed during motor swap (motor only has 2800 miles on it). Injectors where also cleaned during motor swap; was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what it could be causing the problem? Codes where cleared and car still idles slightly rough and surges very slightly and when the fan kicks on the car idles so low that it seems like it wants to die?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to jraftb Send a message via Yahoo to jraftb
do you have a exaust leak before the o2's? if you have a good enough leak it might trick the car into thinking its lean causing it to dump too much fuel, but i would double check your gaskets and just double check for vaccum leaks, as you said thats the most common thing, if you didnt do it the first time spray some carb cleaner around the intake and the tb and see if the idle changes.

1993 lx hatch, 5 speed, all stock except american muscle cai, flowmaster mufflers, hids and a pro 5.0 shifter, more to come soon.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I would try the carb cleaner spray and listen for and changes in your RPM`s sounds like you might have a vacum leak some where. Good Luck !!!!!

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra Convertible with Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 plus clutch, DND 26 spline input shaft, UPR upper n lower non adj control arms,Ford racing rear cover on the 8.8 that was swapped when the IRS was removed, Eibach pro kit, 3:73 FRPP rear gear, 2.8 blower pully, Mack full lengths n Mac flow chamber..
Production number 914

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So I finally got around to checking out my problem with my GT and I did some simple fuel pressure tests and came to the conclusion that my fuel pressure regulator gave out. After putting a fuel pressure gauge to my car it sat around 20 psi at idle; an easy way to tell wether your fuel regulator gave out on you is to pinch the return line and to watch the pressure gauge if it spikes your fuel pressure regulator is done if it doesn't move your fuel pump maybe causing the problem. NPI motors are supposed to be at 30-45 psi stock and PI motors are set at 40-70 psi from the factory and this is with the vacuum hose attached on the 96-97 models. I replaced the regulator with an Aeromotive adjustable regulator set it to 40 psi with the vacuum hose attached since I have the PI motor swap and all problems have been solved. Just thought if anyone else is having the same problem this might help; please check for vacuum leaks prior to conducting this test as normally these codes appear when there is vacuum leak and not an actual fuel related problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page