Stock Mach 1 Drivetrain - what will it handle? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stock Mach 1 Drivetrain - what will it handle?

Hello...
I am interested go find out what HP and Torque increase can be managed safely with a stock 2003 Mach 1 drivetrain. Any testcase scenarios (Good or Bad) would be much appreciated.
The current setup is producing around 350HP with the Cold Air, Diablo tune and balls out exhaust. i want to get this to around 500HP without messing with the drivetrain too much. if a major beef up is required i might aswell go for 600+ HP. again any past problems or current success stories would be well recieved.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
Site Sponsor
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

The 5-speed in the '03 Mach 1 is a TR-3650 and is only rated at 360ft/lbs. If you push your upgrades to the 450+ range, you will be putting the transmission in danger of failure.

In all fairness, it all depends on how you drive it. Horsepower does not kill transmissions, shock-load does. Shock-load is the sudden "jolt" of torque that goes through a driveline and can be catastrophic.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen people (myself included) spend so much time and money adding power to the motor and ignoring the transmission, just expecting whatever they do to the motor, the transmission will handle it. That couldn't be further from the truth. All the power in the world is not worth squat if you can't get it to the ground.

Richard
Resident manual transmission/driveline guru :hihi:
Tech Sales Support
American Powertrain
A Tremec Elite Distributor
TKO, T45, 3650, T5 & T56 Transmission Systems
2199 Summerfield Rd
Cookeville, TN 38506 (931) 646-4836
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Your block will handle over 750 hp, the crank is good to about 500hp, its rods you need 2 check, as some have forged and some r cast...

2002 ROUSH Stage 2, set up for SCCA/Autocross. ROUSH 13" brakes,ROUSH 37mm front sway, ROUSH upper & lower arms, Vogtland coil springs w/ isolators removed, ROUSH CAI, 275/40/17's on 17x9 Bullitt rims on all corners, Hawk brake pads, Tokico D-spec struts n shocks, adjustable rear sway bar, Steeda f&r strut/shock tower brace, bumpsteer kit, J&M C/C plates, sub-frame connectors....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

GT

The drive line is the same as a 02 and up GT, if the Mach is a 5 speed then you already have a forged crank, its good for more the 500hp, if its an auto then around 500 is right.

Pistons and rods are pretty much a must for 600HP. Axles and Diff too. But like said above, its how you drive it. You can do a Magnum T56 swap or a TKO600, them trannys can hold a bunch.

11 5.0
3.73s and Brembo's
6 speed gear jammer, thats all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page