2003 Mustang GT po340 code - New Alternator or refurb? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question 2003 Mustang GT po340 code - New Alternator or refurb?

I have read a lot of threads in the forums regarding the p0340 code "CamShaft Position Sensor". In the last year, Ive replaced that thing like 3 times so now Im thinking its my alternator, like most others on here.

Based on my VIN, the ford dealership said they only have on available, a re-manufactured 130 amp. The price for the part is $238.58 and labor is $139.50.

If the alternator has a faulty diode in it, would putting in remanufactured alternator end up resulting in the same problems down the road? Should I try to find a new one? Do the costs the guy quoted seem fair?

Any help would be great...Im so tired of dealin with this problem!

btw its a 2003 mustang GT.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

anybody? hello outthere?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010
PONY Member

Back in the good old days you could replace the diode pack and be done with it, now you have to replace the whole unit. If I were you I would go with an alternator from paperfomance.com. For about the same price you can get a unit with greater output, lifetime warranty and the color of your choice. Replacing the alternator is a 15 min job at most, so do it yourself or have a friend install it and save yourself $139.50

Skip

2002 GT MG Vert

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

wow, funny that this is exactly the same problem that I have had the last 2 weeks. Does it struggle to start sometimes and/or wont start for a few tries? If so, or not, most likely you will need a new alternator. I just got mine replaced and now the car works like new!!!! I kid you not, it might not sound like it makes complete sense but that is the culprit. I was going to buy my alternator from advanceauto.com, then I realized they have a sale going on right now that will save you $50 on the alternator. You just need to enter the code thats all the way on the top of the page while in the shopping cart page, then it will deduct $50 from your purchase. Heres the one I ordered...
Alternator by Remy New - Part 92506 - Advance Auto Parts
Remember to put in the code thats at the top of the page and you will get a nice discount. You will have to pay a $10 core charge, but you get that back when you return or mail the old alternator to advance. I looked around and this is the best buy you can get for a simple OEM replacement if you are running stock electrical accessories. Installation is easy too if you dont need to swap out the pullies. Try this place before August 3rd so you get a good deal!

2003 Mustang GT, Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body, C&L Trueflow Upper Intake Plenum, Pypes Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator cat back, 3.73 gears, Diablosport Predator Tuner, Tri-ax Shifter, Steeda UDP's, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Mach 1 grille delete, H&R lowering springs, Electroluminescent gauge face , Bullitt pedals
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

PS you can bring the alternator to any shop and it will be cheaper than stupid ford dealerships...it take about 20 mins to replace....paying over $100 is a rip off......I paid $40 for a friend with an impact wrench to do it (needed to swap pullies) and would have paid $75 for Meineke to do it for me....find the cheapest auto repair shop near you or do it yourself.

2003 Mustang GT, Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body, C&L Trueflow Upper Intake Plenum, Pypes Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator cat back, 3.73 gears, Diablosport Predator Tuner, Tri-ax Shifter, Steeda UDP's, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Mach 1 grille delete, H&R lowering springs, Electroluminescent gauge face , Bullitt pedals
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
Banned

I'd definitley get a Ford 130 amp alternator instead of
a generic brand alternator you will find in most part stores.
I would also replace your battery with a brand new
Motorcraft battery.This should fix your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
2003 gt po340

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page