2003 Mustang GT, Crank seal leaking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

2003 Mustang GT, Crank seal leaking

On my '03 GT i noticed my front crank seal leaking after a 6 rib belt shredded and wrapped around the water pump and crank pulley. Since i have a 8 rib belt system with no shredding of the belt.

I didn't really notice how much oil was leaking til i had it on the dyno. With it sitting in one spot there was quite a bit of oil coming out after pulls only on decel. I replaced the seal, pulled the driverside vent off the valve cover and ran to an oil catch can and plugged the nipple in the air intake. It is still leaking abit but don't know if it is because of excess pressure in the crankcase. Especially when it only leaks after you left off the throttle.

I have a KB 2.6 at 18psi. I usually run Mobil 1 5w20 syn. After the engine rebuild i ran Shell rotella T for the break in period then switched to Castrol 5w20 syn.

Is it the seal still, the oil, or the excessive pressure in the crank case from running 18psi?

Should i vent the PCV valve to the catch can also? It has a wire going to it. Will it give me a code if i remove the guts? The ball still rattles inside it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

'03 Black GT, Livernois 5.0 stroker, 2.6 kenne bell, 18 psi 510rwhp/520rwtq, Kooks longtubes, 3" collector and xpipe with cats, T-56 magnum, aluminum d/s, cobra R hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well i changed the oil today, vented my PCV to the catch can also. And the seal still leaks. I have tried to search and see if there is a tool to install the seal. I haven't found the exact one but have seen many cars needing a tool to install the seal straight. Could that be my problem that the seal isn't exactly straight?

I used a 1 3/4" socket that fit the seal and tapped it in gently. I used rtv silicone on the outside of the seal just to lube it slightly and give it some sealing at the same time. Lube the inside of the seal with oil and the crank pulley also.

I have the Innovators west 10% overdrive on the car and have had it for a few years with no problems til now. The seal is only $13 so if i have to get another and try to install again thats no problem.

'03 Black GT, Livernois 5.0 stroker, 2.6 kenne bell, 18 psi 510rwhp/520rwtq, Kooks longtubes, 3" collector and xpipe with cats, T-56 magnum, aluminum d/s, cobra R hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page