Stripped C.O.P. bolts, 1999 Mustang GT Convertible - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Stripped C.O.P. bolts, 1999 Mustang GT Convertible

Hey y'all, I have a 1999 GT Convertible that I've cleaned up a lot! Hahaha, I wanted to finish tuning it up and noticed that 4 of the bolts that fasten in the coil-on plugs are STRIPPED!?!?!? I need advice, because it's missing and I FEEL IT... What the hell do I do ??? I know the intake manifold is that composite plastic, and strips easily if you're not smart about tightening them too tight. I bought some NGK iridium plugs, and I need this in my life, hahaha. All shortcuts, or advice about removing and re-threading is SOOOO welcome.. haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

There was a guy a while ago that had the same problem. Yup, those tiny bolts don't need much torque and it's probably easy to strip them out.

I'd run a search and see if you can find that thread to see how he fixed the problem.

If you can't find it, you're gonna have to cut the heads off those bolts somehow. I'd use a dremel tool, and then see what the damage is to the threads.

It would suck to strip ONE of them out...let alone four.

Good luck

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Once you get the screw out, fill the stripped out hole with some JB weld, get new screws and they will thread right into the JBweld, work like a charm

2013 GT Brembo Black, 3:73, 6-Speed, GT500's, Urethan Shift Bushing, 8 Ball Shifter, J&M LCA's & PHB, Eibach Pro springs, SR Performance F/R Adj Sway bars, KONI Orange Struts & Shocks, SCT S4/XF4 tuner w/BAMA tunes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandascog View Post
Once you get the screw out, fill the stripped out hole with some JB weld, get new screws and they will thread right into the JBweld, work like a charm
I agree.. I have done this before on a 4.6 but I used some 2 part epoxy. I got a self tapping screw the same size and rethreaded it and it worked perfect. Good luck !!!

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra Convertible with Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 plus clutch, DND 26 spline input shaft, UPR upper n lower non adj control arms,Ford racing rear cover on the 8.8 that was swapped when the IRS was removed, Eibach pro kit, 3:73 FRPP rear gear, 2.8 blower pully, Mack full lengths n Mac flow chamber..
Production number 914
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Cool information yall... I'll make a trip to O'Reilly and try that... the hard part is gettin my hands on a gremel tool... LMAO. Well damn, Anyone know a great site to get some staggered 18" Bullits?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

hey no need for a dremel i posted the old forum on this. this is how i get mine out when this happens. tools need are a very sharp flat screwdriver, pair of good pliers and 7 mm sockets and rachet. what you want to do cut threw the coil where the screw holds in down with the flat head, once that is sliced top to bottom using the head of the flat head and good amount of pressure take the flat head and put the head in the slice you made in it and twist the screwdriver to crack that little plastic lip in half. now the coil will come out but you still the the screw stuck with the little fitting on it what you want to do is take your pliers and grab the little gold fitting and hold it tight as you can so it dont spin and take your 7 mm socket and rachet and turn the bolt and you will notice it comes right out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

also for the billets go to americanmuscle.com
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows Stall View Post
hey no need for a dremel i posted the old forum on this. this is how i get mine out when this happens. tools need are a very sharp flat screwdriver, pair of good pliers and 7 mm sockets and rachet. what you want to do cut threw the coil where the screw holds in down with the flat head, once that is sliced top to bottom using the head of the flat head and good amount of pressure take the flat head and put the head in the slice you made in it and twist the screwdriver to crack that little plastic lip in half. now the coil will come out but you still the the screw stuck with the little fitting on it what you want to do is take your pliers and grab the little gold fitting and hold it tight as you can so it dont spin and take your 7 mm socket and rachet and turn the bolt and you will notice it comes right out.
I'm having trouble picturing this. Doesn't this destroy the coil?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

yes it does but you need to take them out ne how thats the only way you are going to be able to truly do it without cutting reuseable parts
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Hmmmm... I cut the bolts using a dremel, this was a pain in the ass... I bought 8 brand new matching bolts and did the Jb Weld idea, as it seemed the less invasive... then I replaced my spark plugs... LMAO! there were 3 motorcraft spark plugs, 2 bosch platinums, and 3 ngk in it already lol... now im running 8 ngk iridiums... FTW. it runs like a champ... thanks for the assistance guys
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaYnEb1357;2170087r!
there were 3 motorcraft spark plugs, 2 bosch platinums, and 3 ngk in it already lol...
Dear lord!

_______

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
coil , intake , plug , spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page