spec stage 2+ clutch ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

spec stage 2+ clutch ?

i have a 03 gt mustang i just replaced my clutch with a spec stage 2+ clutch about 5 min after i got it on the road the plastic clutch quadrant gave up wich i was expecting so i installed a steeda kit, adjustable clutch cable fire wall adjuster and a new aluminum quadrant here is my ? my clutch pedal has no freeplay what so ever it is completly tight i also have to keep taking out slack in the fire wall adjuster becouse after about every 15 20 miles it wont go in gear as if it has to much slack can anyone tell me how to adjust it properly i have my fire wall adjuster 47 clicks out from completly closed i have my clutch cable right in the middle of its adjustment and my quadrant is on the first hook closest to the fire wall please anything helps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
GT Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

when grabbing your cable at the firewall adjuster you should be able to pull on it and get about a 1/8th to 1/4" movement away from the firewall.

if you have a double or triple hook quadrant do you have it hooked in the correct spot?

to tight is not good at all and is hard on the thrust bearing on your crankshaft....

03 Mach 1, Full eaton swap,4;10s, slp 2 with mac H pipe, 443 rwhp tuned by Excessive

1990 lx fully built 331 stroker

89 LX lots of goodies
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
Banned

I'm not surprised why did you get a spec clutch in the first place?
My transmission shop properly adjusted my spec stage 2 clutch using a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster with a stock OEM Ford
clutch cable and my spec clutch still failed at 5K miles.I think
that my spec clutches are inferior junk and alot of people seem
to think so,unlike the biased people here at AFM how have a
spec clutch and defend spec just because they have a spec
clutch on their Ford Mustang.
Uninstall your adjustable clutch cable and install a new stock OEM Ford clutch cable that may fix your problem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

I ran the setup you described: Steeda adjustible quadrant, firewall adjuster and Spec 2+ kit for about 50k miles with ~400 whp and no issues.

When I installed mine, I adjusted the part where it goes to the clutch fork as tight as I could get it and then used the quadrant slot closest to the firewall (mine had 2 slots) and adjusted the slack out at the firewall and it may have been 1/2" adjusted out.

The pedal had about 1/4 to 1/8" slack with the cable when I was done.

The guy I sold my car to has been running it for ~7,000 miles + also with no issues.

The only thing to mention was the Spec t/o bearing failed shortly after install in my case (it squealed), but a new t/o bearing fixed that. =)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
I'm not surprised why did you get a spec clutch in the first place?
My transmission shop properly adjusted my spec stage 2 clutch using a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster with a stock OEM Ford
clutch cable and my spec clutch still failed at 5K miles.I think
that my spec clutches are inferior junk and alot of people seem
to think so,unlike the biased people here at AFM how have a
spec clutch and defend spec just because they have a spec
clutch on their Ford Mustang.
Uninstall your adjustable clutch cable and install a new stock OEM Ford clutch cable that may fix your problem.
I must be lucky, because I had the Steeda set up the OP has for 75,000+ miles on my car with 0 issues and the Spec clutch for well over 50k miles with 10# of boost.

The only issue with the Spec 2+ kit was the t/o bearing and that was due to a clutch fulcrum bolt issue that caused it to fail.

To the OP:

The original OEM Ford clutch quadrant is plastic and they commonly fail, the Steeda piece is good quality and from my experince with it, it is a good piece. It took the abuse of many clutch side steps and the Spec 2+ clutch also survived many boosted "no lift" on gas shifts without slipping.

Get it adjusted correctly and you should be happy with both parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page