3.73 gear whine under acceleration - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

3.73 gear whine under acceleration

just had my gears installed (3.73) and put 900 miles on them in 3 days. Alot of it was highway driving and I noticed that there is a whine between 60 and 75 mph under acceleration only, but it goes away when decelerating. they are ford racing gears and they are quiet the rest of the time.

I noticed alot of people say they had a whine during decceleration, but mine whines during acceleration. It isn't noticable when the top is down with the radio up, but is pretty noticiable when the top is up with the radio down.

I check and the tires are propper inflated, the trim looks ok, and my exhaust is tight, so pretty sure it is the gears. also when I top is up it sounds like it is comming from the back.

need some input, thanks guys.

1999 Mustang GT full 35th aniversity edition 5 speed.
Performance red, two tone leather. bbk headers, borla stinger exhaust, bbk CAI, superchip 93 octane chip, HID Future mods- I'll list later
1997 F150 xlt, 5.4 flowtech headers, true dual, CAI, 4.10 gears, F250 rear axle, heavy leaf springs and air lift. Future mods- V10 triton!!!!
2000 Mitsubishi eclipse GT (My [email protected]$terd child)32 miles per gallon, nothing else good to say about it.
The Meat Packer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
GT Member

I used to have a F150 that I had lifted with 35" tires. I had the 3.55's ripped out and 4.56's installed. The rear gears whined a little bit. I took the truck back in and the tech re-shimmed the rear ring gear and it was all good.

I would take it back to the shop and have them get it right.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I'd like to keep from taking it back. one hour drive and have to find some one to come get me (there hours are from 7 till 5, mine are from 5 till 6)

So if something isn't right, Is it something I can fix on my own?

Performance red, two tone leather. bbk headers, borla stinger exhaust, bbk CAI, superchip 93 octane chip, HID Future mods- I'll list later
1997 F150 xlt, 5.4 flowtech headers, true dual, CAI, 4.10 gears, F250 rear axle, heavy leaf springs and air lift. Future mods- V10 triton!!!!
2000 Mitsubishi eclipse GT (My [email protected]$terd child)32 miles per gallon, nothing else good to say about it.
The Meat Packer

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
PONY Member

Don't touch it, bring it back and have them rework it...you already paid for a quality job once and they are not supposed to be making noise, getting gears right can be tricky only a few are rel good at it..

KB intercooled Supercharger 2.1 9 psi kit,SCT Xcal 3, Dyno Tune 423rwhp, 434rwt, SCT 2600 MAF, SVT Focus fuel pump, KB boost-a-pump, BBK cold air kit, BBK 75mm Throttle Body, BBK shorty headers, Magnaflow X-pipe,Magnaflow Cat Back, MGW short throw shifter, 3:73 Ford Racing gears
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

yeah, I called and he said to bring it back and he would tweek it this week.

^ I'm an industrial maintence tech, so I'm familiar with gears, but like you said, I already paid for it.

The Meat Packer
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
PONY Member

I know it bites to have to get the run around, but you got the right brand of gears and when done right they don't make noise. Mine never did, atleast not yet under any conditions.
Thats why you paid though, so if something went wrong it would be on someone else and not yourself. Atleast you don't have to tear into it after a hard days work

KB intercooled Supercharger 2.1 9 psi kit,SCT Xcal 3, Dyno Tune 423rwhp, 434rwt, SCT 2600 MAF, SVT Focus fuel pump, KB boost-a-pump, BBK cold air kit, BBK 75mm Throttle Body, BBK shorty headers, Magnaflow X-pipe,Magnaflow Cat Back, MGW short throw shifter, 3:73 Ford Racing gears
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

my 2 cents

at 900 miles - the gears should have 'mated' to each other. Was part of the deal to have the fluid drained after break-in? If so, when the cover is removed the wear pattern showing on the gear will tell about installation. Has the noise been present the whole time and at the same speed/load?

I had a set installed by a friend, also FRP-3.73's, they are set a little tight, and mine whine a bit on coast, around 60 mph. They have quited down over the past 4 months (or I just dont notice the whine at this point). This is one more (good) reason for me to keep it under 100 MPH though.

96 GT - PI Intake & cams, O/R h-pipe, Flowmasters - 40s, Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP gears.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

^ speed limit here is 55 at the best, so I didn't notice it untill I had about 100 miles on it. then I hit the highway were the limit is 70mph and I noticed it. after 400 more miles I started running about 80 to 85 and it dissappears. he didn't say anything about changing the fluid but I intended to this weekend.

The Meat Packer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010
Apprentice
4.6L Member

well when you have the cover off, snap some pics of the ring gear and post 'em up. I had some guys on here offer up some spot on diagnosis (es) when I had my gears changed and posted pics.

Hopefully everything is cool when you drain the case - surely hope you find clean oil with minimum (if any gear) shavings.

What type and viscosity gear oil was used with the gear change?

96 GT - PI Intake & cams, O/R h-pipe, Flowmasters - 40s, Short Throw Shifter, 3.73 FRPP gears.
GT Member
4.6L Member

Don't change the fluid before he gets another look at it. If you take the cover off, he'll think you messed with em and probably not honor his work.

03 Mach 1: New toy
00 Kenne Bell GT vert: Sold
04 Sonic Blue GT: Missed
96 GT: First. Sold.

06 F250 6.0L 4x4: Studded, EGR delete, IDP tunes, 5" Straight pipe, S&B CAI
PONY Member

+1 excellent point

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page