Coil On Plug aftermarket - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Coil On Plug aftermarket

I've got a few coil packs that are acting up. I seem to have this issue often. I've already had to replace 2 of them in the last 2 years. I'm wondering if I would be better of getting an aftermarket one? And if so, which one to get. I'm not too worried about getting much performance gains, I just don't want to be replacing these suckers every year... lol.

Tuner, CAI, Billet Aluminum Flywheel, FR 3.73, Stage II Clutch, Stage II Cams, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake Manifold, Edelbrock 75mm TB, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Shorty Headers, Pypes X-pipe, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, Steeda Aluminum 4-Bolt Caster Camber plates, Lakewood Lower Control Arms, Custom Upper Intake Elbow, 5.4L SOHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

MSD makes very good stuff. Haven't used their cops, the gains are minimal unless you get into forced induction or heavier shots of smack, but I've used their ignitions, coils, wires, etc and all are very well made and took a ton of abuse. If I ever need to replace cops I'll go MSD unless I come across something very convincing to make me pick a different brand. The other popular ones are granatelli, whose quality is suspect on a lot of things, and accel, whose ignition products have never impressed me much compared to MSD

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

yeah, those were the ones I was looking at and at this point, it's what I'm leaning towards.

Tuner, CAI, Billet Aluminum Flywheel, FR 3.73, Stage II Clutch, Stage II Cams, Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake Manifold, Edelbrock 75mm TB, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Shorty Headers, Pypes X-pipe, Edelbrock Fuel Rails, Steeda Aluminum 4-Bolt Caster Camber plates, Lakewood Lower Control Arms, Custom Upper Intake Elbow, 5.4L SOHC

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I have used the accels before and they seemed fo be fine and never gave any problems..

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra Convertible with Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 plus clutch, DND 26 spline input shaft, UPR upper n lower non adj control arms,Ford racing rear cover on the 8.8 that was swapped when the IRS was removed, Eibach pro kit, 3:73 FRPP rear gear, 2.8 blower pully, Mack full lengths n Mac flow chamber..
Production number 914
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
PONY Member

My Tuner guy Pete Johnson from performance Dyno says the Accel are the best ones..

KB intercooled Supercharger 2.1 9 psi kit,SCT Xcal 3, Dyno Tune 423rwhp, 434rwt, SCT 2600 MAF, SVT Focus fuel pump, KB boost-a-pump, BBK cold air kit, BBK 75mm Throttle Body, BBK shorty headers, Magnaflow X-pipe,Magnaflow Cat Back, MGW short throw shifter, 3:73 Ford Racing gears
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

BTW Erikka, are you sure its the cops acting up and not the plugs or pigtails?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member

I'm running the Accels with no issues. Best bang for the buck imo.

Are you washing out your engine without covering the COPs? That could be causing them to go out.

10+ Year Mustang owner.
99 Mustang GT - mint condition
-
04 Terminator - Pullied, diablo predator tuner with dyno tune, airbags, MM subs/cc plates, Wilwood brakes, 4 point roll bar, FR500 steering wheel, staggered bullitts, JLT cai, Magnaflow exhaust, mgw shifter

00 V6 - Kenny Brown V6 stuff, Dr Gas x pipe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin366 View Post
BTW Erikka, are you sure its the cops acting up and not the plugs or pigtails?
I actually replaced those wondering the same thing. And when I noticed that they were acting up again I checked them, just in case, and everything was fine.

I DID have a coolant leak though so I'm wondering if somehow they were getting moisture in there somehow?

idk

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010
GT Member
4.6L Member

I used the stock OEM ones on my 2000 GT for 124k miles without issues even with 9# of boost for over 50k miles.

I sold the car in March and the guy that bought it has over 7k more miles on the original COPs. I would replace the stock ones with new or lightly used OEM.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikka.paige View Post
I actually replaced those wondering the same thing. And when I noticed that they were acting up again I checked them, just in case, and everything was fine.

I DID have a coolant leak though so I'm wondering if somehow they were getting moisture in there somehow?

idk
A coolant leak will often kill one or more, especially if the leak is in the plastic crossover. You can check them by letting the car idle and disconnect the plug from one injector at a time, if the idle doesn't change you found a bad injector.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
OEM Motorcraft, OEM OEM OEM! Did you hear me ok? OEM!!

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page