2001 Mustang GT battery gauge problem car almost dies.. Voltage reading - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

2001 Mustang GT battery gauge problem car almost dies.. Voltage reading

Ok so hears the problem.. With my ac on and all my electronic on my battery gauge at idle is less then half and when driving it's alittle more then half which I seem to see is normal. But the weird situation I came across twice was driving my battery gauge falls rapidly so I pull into aborting lot an it keeps falling until the car almost dies then all of a sudden I get full power and Gauge shoots back up to normal?? Anyone tell me what they think. This happen twice in a week. I tested battery and battery reading 11.9 I believe it was and with the car turned on it wad at 12.6 I believe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

You have a bad ground, probably at the chassis, or a bad connection at the alternator, and least likely a bad alternator.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
Apprentice

plus 1 for alternator, i have seen many alternators work intermittently like yours, when the brushes are worn inside

1997 thunderbird 4.6sohc [email protected] 97 mph -100hp wet nitrous, 4.10 gears and eaton posi unit, cold air intake, custom manifold back catless exhaust, diablo sport chip(changed rev settings, timing, and trans pressures, etc.), msd 8.8 wires, msd digital window switch, ngk tr-6 plugs, drilled and slotted rotors. and 1200 watt alpine sound system, wideband dataloging o2.
-2001 dodge ram 2500 cummins diesel, 5speed, 4x4.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Ok thanks guys... Well forgot to mention i replaced the alternator like 2 months ago with a rebuilt stock 110 amp. Just started runimg my after replaced the compressor not sure that have anything to do with it... Anychance could be the battery ground?? Because I did recently chain the negative terminal and ha to take the negative cables off the stock one full of green corode crAp..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010
Apprentice

Are the battery cables clean and tight now? Also in my experience rebuilt alternators seem to fail at alarming rates. The ones from our local auto parts store have a lifetime warranty on them however. So it's free of charge if the new one goes out, its just a pain to replace it again.

1997 thunderbird 4.6sohc [email protected] 97 mph -100hp wet nitrous, 4.10 gears and eaton posi unit, cold air intake, custom manifold back catless exhaust, diablo sport chip(changed rev settings, timing, and trans pressures, etc.), msd 8.8 wires, msd digital window switch, ngk tr-6 plugs, drilled and slotted rotors. and 1200 watt alpine sound system, wideband dataloging o2.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

check all the grounds and leads to the battery and alternator. If all is well with those, then it might be the alternator. I just had to replace my alternator last week, and did not want to get a rebuilt one because of the chance of failure so quickly. Since yours is rebuilt and your problems sound like a charging issue, I would check all of those things and bring it to an Autozone or Advance Auto to get a battery/alternator test done to diagnose the problem.

2003 Mustang GT, Cold Air Intake, Ford Racing 70mm Throttle Body, C&L Trueflow Upper Intake Plenum, Pypes Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Violator cat back, 3.73 gears, Diablosport Predator Tuner, Tri-ax Shifter, Steeda UDP's, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Mach 1 grille delete, H&R lowering springs, Electroluminescent gauge face , Bullitt pedals
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Koop thanks do they do it for free also.. When measure the power coming from the alternator it's 14.7 under load and battery says 12.6
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010
Apprentice

They will do an alternator and battery test for free, However if your measured voltage from your alternator to your battery has a 2 volt drop I would look closely at all connectors

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010
Rookie
4.6L Member

ive kinda got the same problem and have had it for a while, on my 03 GT when my A/C kicks in it feels like ive lost half my power, RPMs at idle drop until the car almost dies out, and the battery gauge only take a slight drop...ive replaced the battery and the alternator has been tested and has passed 2 times. when i had the alternator tested though i showed a 2 volt drain at all times that should not be there...all connections are good and i can't figure it out....

2003 Maroon Mustang GT 5 Spd.
18" Bullit Wheels, K&N CAI, BBK Short Throw W/Trick Stick, Centerforce Stage 1 Street Clutch, Pro-Sound Catback Exhaust (Dumped)
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 (scary Fast)
Pearl Magma Red, Hotbodies Undertail Exhaust, Powercommander, Custom Tuning, Sunsprocket Front and Rear Sprockets, Interested in Selling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page