4.6 PI swap....timing issues - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to GTStangNWash
4.6 PI swap....timing issues

Ok....I should not have swapped the tranny and the heads at the same time.....lesson learned.

The problem I am having is it idles really rough.......acts like there is a vacuum leak when I push on the gas. There is a small knocking sound coming from the bottom end, but is not constant ...... am I off one tooth on the timing?

Damn this is getting irritating, I did this whole project on the ground in my drive way...:/

This morning I tore the intake off (AGAIN) and checked all the vacuum lines and gaskets. Everything appears to be in order and tight....I also sprayed the intake with carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks.....and nothing.

Any suggestions.....thanks!!!.....also there was no codes via code reader, but it said the timing at idling was 17 degrees...does this seem right?

Last edited by GTStangNWash; 08-08-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Well...I went out and looked if over again. Sometimes taking a break helps.

The only thing I can think of is that I did not get the new seal pushed all the way into the timing cover. It is not leaking any oil, but could this cause a serious vacuum leak, without leaking oil?

I am about ready to break down and have it towed to a mechanic

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

No, that seal has nothing to do with vacuum whatsoever. Most likely you got one of the timing chains off a tooth, its a very common mistake. I think it's a bit more common on the right side, but you'll need to check both. Start by doing a compression test, if one bank is off from the other my bet is the chain is mistimed. Test that and report what you find, we'll get it figured out.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Thanks man.....I was beginning to wonder wtf I myself into...lol

When you say right side....do you mean drivers side facing the front of the engine? That was the one side that was a bit trickier to set. I do not have any timing tools...I just used photos as the example.

Ok I will get back to ya with some photos.....Thanks again
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Do a search in here, not long ago someone posted a step by step. The timing needs to be set PERFECT. I think fox lake has it posted on their site. Like any timing belt or chain it needs to be done the right way.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

I have a couple of print offs that show you how to do it. The funny thing was it shows the chains to have two copper links and they links show you where the timing chain sits on both gears. Neither chain I have has any copper link or anything indicating such.

I just used the head in the background and counted links to and from.

Guess thats a redneck way of doing it eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page