Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/)
-   -   Vacuum leak on a 2002 Mustang 4.6 GT (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/252295-vacuum-leak-2002-mustang-4-6-gt.html)

stangman02-05gt 08-22-2010 03:55 PM

Vacuum leak on a 2002 Mustang 4.6 GT

My 02 GT has a vacuum leak in the right rear of the engine. I am not sure where the line is back there. Could it be to the PCV? I have not been able to find a vacuum routing diagram that shows where they are located. The one on the hood is correct I,m sure but not very helpful. Any help will be appreciated.

jep23 08-22-2010 04:03 PM

Are you sure it's a vacuum leak? Could it be an exhaust leak where the manifold bolts to the midpipe?

stangman02-05gt 08-22-2010 05:23 PM

No it's vacuum and if I move the hoses that I can it changes to almost no leak (these hoses are not where the leak is). But I can't see or feel under the manifold. Do you know if the PCV is located there? Thanks for your response.

Stage2 ROUSH 08-22-2010 10:06 PM

If your talking about the ones that go from the rear/pass. side of the engine to the firewall n into the fender then thats the charcoal canister not pcv...and I think that there is a hose that goes to the heat/ a/c there 2....

gnats02 08-22-2010 11:05 PM

Just throwing this out there. I accidently discovered a vacuum leak on my '02. First of all is yours a manual? If it is, take look at the clutch cable. Mine went over top and across a vacuum line. Over the years it had worn a hole through that vacuum line. What was funny was the clutch cable under no tension sealed the hole perfectly. Apply pressure to the clutch and the hole opened up ever so briefly. So you just may want to take a look at that.

02blackgt46 08-23-2010 09:08 AM

It would not be the pcv. That hose runs across the front of the throttle body.

stangman02-05gt 08-26-2010 05:43 PM

Vacuum leak on 2002 Mustang GT

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnats02 (Post 2196425)
Just throwing this out there. I accidently discovered a vacuum leak on my '02. First of all is yours a manual? If it is, take look at the clutch cable. Mine went over top and across a vacuum line. Over the years it had worn a hole through that vacuum line. What was funny was the clutch cable under no tension sealed the hole perfectly. Apply pressure to the clutch and the hole opened up ever so briefly. So you just may want to take a look at that.

Yes it is standard and I appreciate the information. I will take a look and check it out. It has been a problem getting worst. The leak is so distinct to the right rear (sitting in driver seat) it should be easy to find. But I'm getting frustrated to the point of removing the intake.