Boring a 4.6L SOHC - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Boring a 4.6L SOHC

As you may have seen in my previous threads, I have a 2000 GT. I have asked recommendations for improvements and many have replied positively. Then, my dilemma was: modifying the 2000 GT or buying the 2011 GT. Problem is that the new GT is around 36G plain and in Ontario I would have to pay an extra 4G in taxes, 1.2G in insurance, $200 on license and one full tank ($70). My wife will not go for this amount of money, unless I win the lotto, and that wouldn't be the car I would acquire, but rather the new Shelby approved 1967 replica built in California. So, I have to settle for modifying what I have, little by little. I was recommended to start with the suspension front and rear and a short tri-ax shifter. Personally, I would like to upgrade the cams and heads, put some long tube headers, catted X pipe, Borla or Magnaflow catbacks, grill delete, back window valence and I have 2 X 2006 leather front seats to include. I have a clutch to change for centreforce 1 and a crack windshield to replace. So far, I think I will be able to manage within budget.

For engine work, I would rather have it modified by a specialized shop. Can some out there recommend the size I should have the engine bored? Would $5G be a good price to have an engine improved? Or, should I just order a turn key engine that would fit my current transmission/drive shaft, still fitting into the engine mounts?

What would you do to improve the engine? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I would never bore a 4.6 block more than .020 over for street use, the liners get a bit thin after that. As far as who bores it, I only have one requirement:

They must use a torque plate to bore or even hone the 4.6. The 4.6 block is very succeptible to distortion when the heads are torqued down, so you must replicate that when you're boring it, or your bores will not be round once you torque the heads on.

Other than that, it's a fairly straight rebuild.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
Banned
4.6L Member

I'd recommend selling the car and buying something like this:
Ford : Mustang: eBay Motors (item 220654456627 end time Sep-04-10 18:21:07 PDT)
There is probably $35K in it, also someone has done all the heavy lifting/building...man it kills me to even see this kinda thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page