If I have Ford Change my Plugs and... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

If I have Ford Change my Plugs and...

one blows out say-30k miles later, do I have a leg to stand on in terms of them covering repair costs? In need of new plugs and wondered if this has happened to anyone. I know it's any easy job, but would rather pay the $230 for Ford to accept the responsibility if it occurs. Anyone have this happen or thoughts...?

One final thought...would a private extended warranty ($400/year) cover you if this happened? $400 sounds like alot, but it's way cheaper than paying $3-4k in a worst case scenario.

Last edited by thetechnocrat; 08-26-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

If the dealer puts the plugs in it won't get you a free helicoil or set of heads if the plug blows out 30k down the road. Unless you can prove that the technician's incompitance directly led to the failure. Even then it may not help. 99% of the dealers are independent franchises and are not owned by Ford Motor Company.

2003 Mustang GT - All the usual engine bolt-ons, brakes and a road race suspension - SOLD
89 5.0 LX - Too much to list, goes fast, turns and stops!
1999 F-350 Modded 7.3L DIT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So it would come down to proving incompetance, which surely the dealership would pass off as a bad Ford design. Sounds like I should do it myself and pick up an extended warranty just in case.

I think I may go with the higher torque of 28 ft/lb's dry with no anti-seize-apparently this helps greatly.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Make sure you read the fine print on the extended warranty. Some items covered by the regular warranty sometimes are not covered by the extended.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Good advise. Honestly, I don't think there is an extended warranty company out there which is legit. I just did some research and see most are bogus. Even some of the big ones like fidely are out of business because they were frauds.
Oh well, just take my chances like all the rest of us with these stupid 4 coil heads...damn you Ford!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
get it done by someone that has a good reputation for wrenching on cars and you will have peace of mind and properly installed plugs

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Buy the Timesert kit for around $200 and do it yourself, or have Ford do it. Unless you have a really good mechanic that you trust, and will do exactly what you want. Most mechanics shops that don't specialize in Mustangs will try to just put a helicoil in there, which is not a permanent fix, and will eventually blow out as well or come out with the sparkplug on the next plug change.

I know $200 sounds like a lot, but if one plug has blown out, chances are you'll lose a few more over time. You can get really good at doing them after the first one, and fix others in less than an hour. The first one, you'll just be nervous that you're going to screw up, but after that one you'll realize it's a piece of cake.

From your past posts, it sounds like you're a pretty competent guy with a car, I don't think you'll have a single problem with this one. Just use a lot of grease on the cutting tool to catch the aluminum shavings, use or make a small tube style sucker for a vacuum (I stole a piece from my wife's Kirby set), and suck out any extra, and then blow it out really well with compressed air to make sure you get any stray shavings out. Using a lot of grease and changing it on the tool often, I had very very few in the cylinder.

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Timesert is the way too go, and I appreciate the vote of confidence and don't think it's hard either. Ive rebuilt many engines and tranny's, but these damn plugs aren't worth doing. I would rather pay $500 per plug change to a shop or Ford if they would stand by their work. I just wonder if anyone had their plugs done on a 4.6 or 5.4 by Ford and successfully passed the repair costs off to them if a plug blew 20k miles later.

Does anyone stand by their work? This is exactly why I do all my own maintenance and repair myself when possible-call me crazy but I like to actually use proper torque and a manual! I just had a so-called Mustang expert tell me I can't set my pinion angle...also just had a high end shop disregard my request for 90ft/lb's torque on my wheels when balancing...crossthreaded 2 nuts and broke 3 wheel studs! That's what you get for $90/hour around me.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnocrat View Post
Does anyone stand by their work? This is exactly why I do all my own maintenance and repair myself when possible-call me crazy but I like to actually use proper torque and a manual! I just had a so-called Mustang expert tell me I can't set my pinion angle...also just had a high end shop disregard my request for 90ft/lb's torque on my wheels when balancing...crossthreaded 2 nuts and broke 3 wheel studs! That's what you get for $90/hour around me.
Sounds like you had a butcher rather than a tech working on your car. There are alot of bad mechanics and shop owners out there that either don't care or just don't give a [email protected]#t. I personally work on every vehicle as if it were my own. It doesnt matter if its a prestine GT500 or a mason dump. I view my work as a reflection of myself, I'm sure that you can find alot of professionals out there with that same attitude. But being that you wrench yourself, you are probably better off performing your own maintainence/repairs. Especially with a Mustang, it is probably the easiest platform to work on.

2003 Mustang GT - All the usual engine bolt-ons, brakes and a road race suspension - SOLD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I agree and wish I had a mechanic local to me like you which shared your attitude about the work they turn out.
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I'm sure that if you do a little networking you can find someone good. You can usually get a good idea of the type of work that a shop puts out by looking at the customers cars, the working area and by talking to the guys that work there.

Apprentice

I don't think that you will find any shop that will guarantee their work for more than 12/12. That is the norm. Also the only extended warranty that I would ever recommend is a Ford ESP plan. And then the Premium Care is the only way to go.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
Did Ford take responsibility when they dropped the ball on the design of the plug threads for the 2 and 4V heads?? Hell NO, it would have cost them a fortune in recalls, I HIGHLY doubt they'll warranty against plug blowouts since it happens literally every day to another unlucky person!

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exactly right...not only did ford not take responsibility, but if I pay over $200 to have a ford dealership use the right techniques and correct factory plugs-still no dice. I have to pay no matter what if something goes wrong. The dealership passes the buck to ford as a defect, and ford themselves deny any knowledge of the problem even though they issued a tsb. It's a no win any way you slice it...and why no class action yet? there are literally over a million cases where this has happened and the f150 is worst than our cars even.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I never knew the plugs blew out so easily on our cars. Thank God I have never had this problem. I have put a few sets of plugs in my car and never have had a problem. I do believe any person with a little mechanical knowledge can change the plugs in a 4.6 Mustang. Just take your time, do it right and save your money instead of giving it to the dealership. I worked at a ford dealership from 89 to 92 and I remember right before I left reading about the new modular motors that Ford was releasing. My mustang is the first 4.6 I have ever worked on and its not that bad of a task to do your own maintenance.

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra Convertible with Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 plus clutch, DND 26 spline input shaft, UPR upper n lower non adj control arms,Ford racing rear cover on the 8.8 that was swapped when the IRS was removed, Eibach pro kit, 3:73 FRPP rear gear, 2.8 blower pully, Mack full lengths n Mac flow chamber..
Production number 914
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page