New King Cobra clutch - release point adjustment - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004 Thread Starter
Apprentice

New King Cobra clutch - release point adjustment

My wife's 01 GT rec'd a well needed King Cobra Clutch a couple of weeks ago along with a Granatelli quadrant, adjustable cable and Steeda firewall adjuster. It was professionally installed by a local Mustang speed shop. The first day we had to slightly adjust the cable via the firewall adjuster due to excessive play in the pedal - we were told this is normal with a new cable as they do stretch. Since then it has been consistent. However, also since day one, the clutch pedal is an inch higher off the floorboard than my stock 02 GT. And the release point of the clutch is right at the top of the arc, seemingly in this last inch or so of travel. At first we thought it was just new and took some getting used to, but to me, something isn't right or needs serious adjustment. It seems to work fine, sounds fine, but knocking my knee into the steering wheel is getting on my nerves. Adjusting out further at the firewall only seems to pull the pedal into the release point area and you can hear what I guess are the syncros spinning as you engage the clutch. I quickly dialed it back in enough to just allow the slightest bit of free play in the pedal, similiar to my 02 GT. Does this sound like the end of the cable at the clutch fork needs the adjustment? Should I mess with this or take it back to the shop that installed it? If it's rather easy I'd rather do it myself. Also, any pressure on the clutch pedal gives you a slight vibration, something I don't feel at all in my stock clutched 02 GT. Is this inherient of the aftermarket hardware we had installed? (God, it's nice to have 2 GTs!)

2004 Torch Red Mach 1 #198012. Magnaflow catted X and Magnapack catback exhaust, Eibach springs, MM strut tower brace, K-member brace and CC Plates, Pro 5.0 shifter, FRPP alum driveshaft, UPR uppers and lowers, 10th anniv rims, MRT CAI, BBK TB, Steeda UDPs.
My son's 1992 Emerald Green 5.0L LX Convertible - 5 lug conversion, Flowmaster catback, Eibach, KYB, more to come!
Black 2002 GT - totalled by an idiot on 4/1/08.
True Blue 2001 GT - traded in on a Nissan Pathfinder on 9/5/07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004
Dux

Hey twogts4us, how much power are you putting to the ground on that '02 GT setup? The reason I ask is that I pretty much planned on doing the exact same mod list you got to my '02 GT (black also) and was curious what to expect. The only real diff. is I was planning on Accufab 75mm TB vs. 70mm. Did you have to adjust the A/F after all the intake mods?

Later,
Dux

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004
kit
PONY Member

I don't have that problem with my clutch, but I didn't get the adjustors.I really don't know what to say except that isn't right for the release point.

Just picked her up..92 LX 5.0 HO Vert...lovin every minute of it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Dux
Hey twogts4us, how much power are you putting to the ground on that '02 GT setup? The reason I ask is that I pretty much planned on doing the exact same mod list you got to my '02 GT (black also) and was curious what to expect. The only real diff. is I was planning on Accufab 75mm TB vs. 70mm. Did you have to adjust the A/F after all the intake mods?

Later,
Dux
Haven't had it dynoed with the new induction - pretty much just removed and replaced - and, thank god, it started righted up afterward! Definately an improvement in the upper RPM range - 3K + it just screams toward the red line. For unknown reasons, at first, the idle liked to hang around 1200-1400 with the A/C on when coming to a stop, then would fall down to 800. But, after the first week or so, it completely calmed down and settles right down to a near normal idle. Now it's completely calm and quiet...I can sneak up on unsuspecting losers in the next lane and unload on 'em when the light turns green! The 75mm TB is only 10 bucks more, but I had read that it was overkill, so I opted for the smaller unit. Either way, you'll be very happy. I have a Superchip that, it seems, just fixes the speedo for the 3.73 gears - doesn't seem to make much more power over stock. I've always run 92+ octane and have never had a ping...ever. Honestly, that was my biggest concern, but it turned out to be a non-issue. No adjustment to the A/F ratio is or was necessary. In fact, no adjustments at all. My wife and I took our time and only spent 2 hours from start to finish, including cleaning everything in sight along the way. The hardest thing we ran into was the need for a deep 10mm (I think it's 10?) socket on the back bolt on the EGR valve (driver's side gimmick). Other than that, the whole thing, air filter to plenum, was a breeze. Check out the pic I posted in the members gallery - it's cool, dude. (Search by my name)

2004 Torch Red Mach 1 #198012. Magnaflow catted X and Magnapack catback exhaust, Eibach springs, MM strut tower brace, K-member brace and CC Plates, Pro 5.0 shifter, FRPP alum driveshaft, UPR uppers and lowers, 10th anniv rims, MRT CAI, BBK TB, Steeda UDPs.
My son's 1992 Emerald Green 5.0L LX Convertible - 5 lug conversion, Flowmaster catback, Eibach, KYB, more to come!
Black 2002 GT - totalled by an idiot on 4/1/08.
True Blue 2001 GT - traded in on a Nissan Pathfinder on 9/5/07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page