Removed Side Scoops??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Question Removed Side Scoops???

Has anyone seen a Mustang with side scoops removed and filled in smooth and painted to match body of car?

2000 Mustang GT: Mac Prochamber off-road mid pipe; SSS Adrenaline exhaust; Airaid CAI; SCT Tuner; Moser axles, EGR removed, Ford Racing 3.73 gears and Trac-Loc differential, aluminum drive line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

The Bullitt prototype in 2000 was done that way, it looks sharp.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bullittside.jpg
Views:	4203
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	115696  

2001 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
[email protected] naturally aspirated on a bone stock 2V longblock

Under Reconstruction for RS275 Drag Radial Class
Pushrods and Powerglide Coming Soon

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Old 11-16-2010
GT Member

You mean no 2000's were made without the scoops? But I would have to say I like them on those cars.

The question is not when's he gon' stop, but who is gonna stop him? ~ Super Soul

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
The Bullitt prototype in 2000 was done that way, it looks sharp.
Nice, I wonder if it's possible for a good body guy to do it. I have never been a fan of fake vents and scoops. I also like having something different and unique to set my stuff apart from others. Thanks for the pic!

2000 Mustang GT: Mac Prochamber off-road mid pipe; SSS Adrenaline exhaust; Airaid CAI; SCT Tuner; Moser axles, EGR removed, Ford Racing 3.73 gears and Trac-Loc differential, aluminum drive line
Old 11-16-2010
GT Member

Make them functional, that would be cooler than eliminating them and ruining a potential future classic. :P

The question is not when's he gon' stop, but who is gonna stop him? ~ Super Soul
Old 11-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

I ran across a Bullitt from overseas on cardomain once that they deleted the side scoop deletes, if that makes sense. It looked just like the picture of the prototype.

Old 11-16-2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
Make them functional, that would be cooler than eliminating them and ruining a potential future classic. :P
I have the Bullitt, he just has a GT, which was too mass produced to be a future classic. So you might as well mod the hell out of it and enjoy it.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post
I have the Bullitt, he just has a GT, which was too mass produced to be a future classic. So you might as well mod the hell out of it and enjoy it.
Yeah thats my plan, it will be far from original. First thing to go on the body is the front bumper cover, going with a Roush. As far as making the scoops functional, I don't know what purpose they could serve. They are functional on mid and rear engine cars, like Porsche, Ferrari, Lambos, etc. for radiator cooling and sometimes intercooler cooling. I'm not saying I hate the look of them I just feel they are gimmicky (if thats a word).

Old 11-16-2010
GT Member

They are fresh air rear brake coolers. Or fake rear brake coolers.

Never say never on the classics. You never know what will become classic.

But I agree, do what makes you happy. Build it just for you.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
They are fresh air rear brake coolers. Or fake rear brake coolers.

Never say never on the classics. You never know what will become classic.

But I agree, do what makes you happy. Build it just for you.
One of my first cars was a 1978 Camaro Z28 with t-tops, at the time I owned it the 67 Camaros were starting to be collectible. I never thought my '78 would be worth anything but following the collector car auctions I have seen really nice ones sell for around $10,000. Even modified classics bring top dollar if done correctly, not as much as original but still impressive figures.

Old 11-16-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

I saw an integra with functional side scoops once. It looked retarded. But integras didnt come with side scoops so thats why.
Old 11-17-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

So my friends made a lot of pokes at the fake side scoops, so then I put on a pair of the Saleen shark gill style scoops, and that shut them all up. Hahaha. They look cool. If you want to try them, buy the fibreglass or carbon fibre aftermarket copies, don't buy the original Saleen because they took waaay too much prep work. But I like'm.

SLITHER
Old 02-25-2012
Rookie
4.6L Member

I have an 02 GT and want to take them off and smooth out the side. Has anyone tried this
Old 02-26-2012
GT Member
4.6L Member

I must say, that Bullitt looks way sleeker without the fake side scoops! The Saleen scoops are pretty nice as well though, they are more like a cosmetical feature instead of just being fake a$$ airvents.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
Old 02-26-2012
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Has anyone seen a Mustang with side scoops removed and filled in smooth and painted to match body of car?
There's at least one that i've seen on 'moddedmustangs' , start a thread there , someone will probably provide you with a link .

2000 Spring Edition ZY Mustang GT Convertible ....BBK CAI , BBK 70 MM TB , Flows , Hypertech Tuner , Vogtland 1.6" Springs , Tokico HP , MM CC plates , Steeda flsfc's , Bullitt Calipers , D/S 13" rotors , 03 Cobra Alum 17" mini-spare , Chrome Saleen 18x9/18x10 , 265/295 35 Potenza's , sequentials , rear honeycomb , smoked headlites , tint , CDC Bar , Mach chin spoiler , black bullitt fuel door , speedster tonneau .
!996 Pearl White/Black Lincoln MarkVIII LSC .... stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in