Rough idle and engine shake at 2000 RPM - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to skyducker Send a message via MSN to skyducker Send a message via Yahoo to skyducker
Unhappy Rough idle and engine shake at 2000 RPM

I have a 5 speed, 99 gt w/ stock fuel system.

The car idles at 700+ RPM, it kicks this up and down most likely due to the smog control.

At 2000 RPM, the engine shakes really bad, can even feel it when running at 65mph. the shaking stops at around 2500 RPM.

Anyone experienced this?

Could it be a faulty fuel injector or maybe a coil pack?

Any help would be appreciated.

Black 99 GT
-- Current Mods: FIPK, C&L Plenum, 70mm FRPP Throttle Body, Steeda Triax Shifter, BBK Upper and Lower control arms.
-- Dyno @ 2500ft in elevation on a DynoJet 233.2 hp and 273.8 Torque
-- Future Mods: 4:10 Gears, Exhaust, Super
-- Current best time with only FIPK and pinging like an sob:
1/4 mile, Reaction - .139, 60ft - 2.284, ET 14.316, MPH - 98.278
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004
Mana4Real

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak... That would be the first thing I would look for. Any loss of power?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to skyducker Send a message via MSN to skyducker Send a message via Yahoo to skyducker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mana4Real
Almost sounds like a vacuum leak... That would be the first thing I would look for. Any loss of power?
Nope...no loss of power that I am aware of, though it has had this problem since I bought it.

Any common places for a vacuum leak that I should start looking?

EDIT: BTW...after driving it this afternoon, its a wheel balance issue on the shaking the whole car at 2grand but when at a stand still, the engine is smooth after idle until 2 grand where it shakes a bit until about 2500 - 3 grand

Black 99 GT
-- Current Mods: FIPK, C&L Plenum, 70mm FRPP Throttle Body, Steeda Triax Shifter, BBK Upper and Lower control arms.
-- Dyno @ 2500ft in elevation on a DynoJet 233.2 hp and 273.8 Torque
-- Future Mods: 4:10 Gears, Exhaust, Super
-- Current best time with only FIPK and pinging like an sob:
1/4 mile, Reaction - .139, 60ft - 2.284, ET 14.316, MPH - 98.278

Last edited by skyducker; 04-12-2004 at 09:13 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004
PONY Member

The rough idle could be due to a dirty PCV valve or air filter, and the shaking is probably from alignment or needs balancing.

2000 GT Auto. Stalled, Performance Automatics Manual Valve Body, K&N FIPK, 3:73, Magnaflow Tru-X Crossover and Catback, MM Adj. Rear Lower C/A's, KB Subframe Connectors, Accufab 75mm TB & Plenum, UPR k-member, MM coilover & cc plates, 18" 03 Cobra Replica Polished Rims - SOLD -

2008 G8 GT - NEP OTR, ARH 1 7/8 Long Tube Headers, BP Catch Can
Tuned
366 / 374
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010
Rookie

HEY...i have a 2002 mustang v6. im having some troubles with the engine or whatever it is. ive taken it to dealers and i cant find the problem with it..It runs rough over 2500 rpms and the check engine light blinks. Then it goes away after a while. I cant even get over 55 mph in 4th gear. It has an exhaust system on it idk if that has anything to do with it or what. Does anyone know what i can do to fix this cause idk what to do. Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyaz09 View Post
HEY...i have a 2002 mustang v6. im having some troubles with the engine or whatever it is. ive taken it to dealers and i cant find the problem with it..It runs rough over 2500 rpms and the check engine light blinks. Then it goes away after a while. I cant even get over 55 mph in 4th gear. It has an exhaust system on it idk if that has anything to do with it or what. Does anyone know what i can do to fix this cause idk what to do. Thanks
Take your car to advance auto parts or autozone and they will pull the code for you. After that look it up and see what the code means then go from there. No body can tell you what's wrong until you get the code.

2000 4.6l mustang
03 Swap Rebuilt, Pacesetter Longtube Headers, Pacesetter O/R X Pipe, SLP lm1, Professional Products 75mm TB/Plenum,SR Underdrive pulleys, EGR Delete, Mac CAI, Diablosport 93oc tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears, 31 spline FRPP Trac loc+ 31 spline axles, 2" cut springs, Drilled and Slotted rotors/Hawk brake pads, Accel Super Coils, Stall+Shift kit AUTO fml
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member

To the v6 guy that means a miss fire when your engine light flashes. its your coil packs or wires which ever you have or bad spark plugs

18' True Saleen Rims, Full Custom Walker X-pipe, Super 44 flows, camber plates, saleen springs. 3:73gear F pike2 K/N. spec2 clutch, Motorcraft copper plugs, BBK underdrive pullies, 78mm BBK throttle body, upper plenium, Diablosport, hawk performance brake pads,Tri Ax Shifter, shorty antenna. Red Candy Pearl Metallic Paint Fresh '10 Model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page