Squealing noise after spark plug change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Squealing noise after spark plug change

This past Saturday I changed my spark plugs for the first time. I followed all instructions as far as hand tightening the plug first then following up with a quarter turn with the ratchet. I was careful as far as I know returning all boots back to their correct fitting. I did not remove the fuel rail. The squeal increases as the RPM's increase, and doesn't start until the car is completely warmed up.

I drove the car and noticed an immediate improvement however a squealing noise that I didnít have before is coming some near the heater core and I canít figure out what it is. It has given me any drivability issues or triggered any lights but the noise is driving me crazy. Any ideas?????

Year of the car: 02 GT

Miles: 180K

No New codes associated with the noise however I keep having a check gas cap light come on. This was happening before the spark
plug change though.

Spark plugs (NKG) were pre-gapped and double check at .54

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Could be a coincidence but turn your heater blower "OFF". Could be a dry armature bushing like mine had. Squealed like a stuck pig at times.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boominup View Post
Could be a coincidence but turn your heater blower "OFF". Could be a dry armature bushing like mine had. Squealed like a stuck pig at times.
I hadn't thought of that but now thinking about it, it does it with or without the heater on. Thanks though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to aiminglow
Serpentine belt? I know I had an issue that sounds similar on a different car. About as annoying too.

2006 Mustang GT: 5-speed (was auto)
Show: Hood scoop // Side Scoops // Louvers // GT500 Spoiler // Rear diffuser insert // Stripes // Mustang trunk letters // Interior goodies.
Go: JLT intake // J&M LCA's // J&M UCA // Strut tower brace // FRPP Front Lower Control Arm Brace // Pro 5.0 Shifter with MGW blue striped shift ball.
Flow: Flowmaster American Thunders.
Stereo: Pioneer DEH 2200ub.
Oh and of course, the lead foot mod
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I don't think it has nothing to due with the plug change but it could be a belt, maybe the TOB if it's manual, could be the power steering. Does it only happen when you drive the car?

2014 Mustang GT, A6, Grabber Blue
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oo5GT View Post
I don't think it has nothing to due with the plug change but it could be a belt, maybe the TOB if it's manual, could be the power steering. Does it only happen when you drive the car?
The noise starts when the car gets warmed up and gets louder as the RPM's increase. The noise is definitely near the heater core near the plugs 3 & 4.

I find it odd that the noise suddenly appears after the spark plugs have been changed. Are there any vacuum lines near plugs 3 & 4?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiminglow View Post
Serpentine belt? I know I had an issue that sounds similar on a different car. About as annoying too.

I dont believe its the belts. The noise is definitely stronger where I described.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

On my way home from work I heard a pop and my check engine light starting flashing. I pulled the code and its coming up as P0301 misfire cylinder #1. If the spark plug blow out are the threads damaged? Trying to wait on the engine to cool down before I check it out.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member

Check your coils and make sure that they're nice and tight. Both the electrical connector and the bolt that holds down the coil. Had the same exact problem u did today. But mine was cylinder 4 and I noticed the bolt that held down the coil was loose. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page