cams for dohc in fox - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

cams for dohc in fox

hey guys. i just bought a 4.6 with dohc b heads. im looking to biuld a high rpm motor (9500). regrind stock cam or buy new? way cheeper to go regrind but not sure if itll destroy all the hard work i just put into the motor.

blue 91 lx .... gone

green 87 lx coupe,
now looking for a c4/ getting it ready for its first track time

01 cobra, jlt intake, upr o/r x, and custom cat back. super 44s 2 1/2in in, 3in out. and t56 swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011
Apprentice

What have you already done to the motor? Spinning the motor to 9500 isn't going to make more power unless you open everything up to the max. Most of the mod motors fall off heavy at 7000 RPM unless you have lost of mods to support higher RPM. Just saying it will cost a lot to spin to 9500 and be productive with it.

Sport Compacts are those too weak for Torque!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

well i have the block torn down as im building it up right now. im looking into which heads to get (b or c or even navigator) porting them and new valves and springs with solid lifters.

blue 91 lx .... gone

green 87 lx coupe,

01 cobra, jlt intake, upr o/r x, and custom cat back. super 44s 2 1/2in in, 3in out. and t56 swap

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

the navigator heads flow the best and work at a higher rpm but unless its an all out drag racing motor i cant imagine why you would want to turn it that high...i have a friend who has the ported Nav heads with 550 cams on a balanced and blueprinted 4.6 supercharged and twin turbo's ....it dyno'd 986 hp @ 8550 and the numbers dropped quickly after that...in a qtr mile his car runs less than 2/10ths faster turning it 8500 compared to 7800.....my point is if it makes 980 hp @ 7800 rpm and 986 @ 8500....Why punish the engine that much for a measly 6 more hp when the only way you can even tell it is if your being clocked in the qtr mile and its only a tenth of a second?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

well i guess really im looking at 8000 rpm. im still asking if its ok to regrind cams on a 4.6
its so much cheaper than getting new

blue 91 lx .... gone

green 87 lx coupe,

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011
Apprentice

I usually consult with Sean Hyland on stuff like that. He has reground cams and if you tell him what you want to do with the car, could recommend a good grind profile for you. As well as let you know what valve springs and such you should run.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice

so how do i get ahold of this guy? and really im looking for really like 8000 rpm. i heard running solid lifters makes this way easier witch is what im planning on doing

blue 91 lx .... gone

green 87 lx coupe,

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011
Apprentice

Just go to their website www.seanhylandmotorsports.com and at the bottom you will see the contact us page to send him an email.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page