2002 Mustang GT Series 4 Saleen intercooler electric pump replacement - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

2002 Mustang GT Series 4 Saleen intercooler electric pump replacement

So I thought that I would tell everyone about my experience replacing the electric intercooler coolant pump on My 2002 GT. I searched and searched for information about this process on many forums, and was not able to find a good example of the process so I figure that this may help others doing the same thing I did. I have a 2002 GT with a Series 4 Saleen Supercharger set up. My electric coolant pump crapped out on me, and since the Saleen replacment pump was almost $400, I thought that I would look for an alternative. I went with a Ford Racing (Bosch) pump, part#: M-8501-L54. This is a factory replacment for the 2003-04 Cobra and Lightning. Pump was $134 from americanmuscle.com. Everything I read said that this should be an easy swap. Pump arrived and I noticed a few issues right away. First, the Saleen pump is hard wired, the Bosch has a plug. Not a big deal, but had to spend another $40 on a pigtail. Second issue was that the new pump has a 3/4" inlet and outlet, and the Saleen system was set up with 1/2" hoses. Couple more dollars spent on reducers. Final issue was mounting. The new pump is a little smaller, and there are no screw holes like the old one to mount the bracket. I just used a few screw clamps and made it work, but you could spend some more time, and money, and have a better bracket fabricated. Thats it in a nut shell. You do have to remove the bumper cover to gain access depening on where yours is mounted, but that made it easier to talk my wife into having the front cover painted while it was off.

I hope that this helps anyone dealing with the same issues.

2002 Mustang GT Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

So everything is installed, but the pump is not working. I called Americanmuscle.com about the issue and was told that I would have to call Ford Racing tech line to trouble shoot the issue. I did that this morning, and was told that I would need a new pump. I called AmericanMuscle back and was told that they would verify the conversation with Ford Racing, and then send me a replacement pump with a return label for the old one. We will see how it goes.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to mell0
good luck you you. you sure you hooked up the pigtail correctly? i know it's some pretty simple wiring but you never know. did you check your fuse? maybe the FRPP pump draws more power than the saleen one and blew a fuse. try hot wiring the fuse to see if the pump works.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Yea, the pigtail is rather basic. There is a orange and a black wire running to the pigtail, I tested the wires prior to installing it and verified that the orange is hot. The pump has a + and - on the back where the plug is, and I verified that they are connected correctly. The pump is getting power, it just makes a quiet humm noise, like the motor inside is stuck or something. I can feel it vibrating a little, but know that it is not pumping. I took the return line off of the reservoir to see if it was just pumping at low pressure, but it is pushing no coolant.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

try tapping it with a wrench. it sounds dumb but it worked in my friend's case. it was like it knocked something into place and the pump has worked great ever since.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

So last night I turned on the car, heard the pump start humming again and tapped it with a wrench. Every time I would tap it, it would make a very high pitched squeal for a few seconds and then stop. I am now even more convinced that the fan in there is not set right.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

So AmericanMuscle.com finally made good on their warranty and I got the new pump on Friday and installed it that night. Pump works great.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

haha awesome! glad to hear everything is going well.

2002 Procharged GT
351rwhp, 353rwtq
12.503 @ 113.08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page