Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/)
-   -   1997 mustang gt it starts but dies 5 seconds later. (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/307399-1997-mustang-gt-starts-but-dies-5-seconds-later.html)

joshua.h.powell 08-06-2011 09:38 PM

1997 mustang gt it starts but dies 5 seconds later.

I have a 97 mustang gt 5 speed it will start but only run for 5 to 10 seconds. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is fine. i have cleaned the injectors and changed the plugs and plug wires. I disconnected a injector and put a test light in the plug and found the injectors prime the engine and pulse for 5 to 6 seconds after start but then stop and the car dies. i tried a trick a friend of my said to start the car then turn thee key off then on every time it started to die. he said it was a ground issue with the injectors maybe in the computer does any one know about this. and can i get a wiring diagram for the injectors to the computer.

wmburns 08-06-2011 09:52 PM

This sure sounds like a PATS issue to me.

What is the theft light doing?

Are you sure there aren't any vacuum leaks in the upper intake tube?

Have you confirm that the fuel injectors stop pulsing? If so, this adds weight to this being a PATS problem.

If you want a wiring diagram, I can help with that. PM is interested.

joshua.h.powell 08-06-2011 09:56 PM

it does nothing. i haven't been able to get a hold of a code reader yet

joshua.h.powell 08-06-2011 10:02 PM

also the radio does not work but dash clock works. could flood damage be the cause. all the vacume lines are good

wmburns 08-07-2011 09:35 AM

Does nothing? As in doesn't light at all?

Turn the key on but do not crank. Does the theft light come on at all? Does it go out after a 3 second prove out?

I have got to tell you that a sudden loss of fuel injector pulse is exactly how the PATS system disables the motor.

Inspect the main PCM electrical connector for evidence of water damage. Check the PCM for an external performance chip. The contacts on the external chips are bad about rusting. This leads to poor connections and all sorts of strange behaivor.

Yes I could see water damage causing all sorts of issues.