Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   4.6L Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/)
-   -   2002 Mustang GT are wheel adapters / spacers safe to use or not? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/307424-2002-mustang-gt-wheel-adapters-spacers-safe-use-not.html)

Shadows Stall 08-07-2011 12:19 AM

2002 Mustang GT are wheel adapters / spacers safe to use or not?

Ok I read alot of different things on google and other forums but I want to make my own thread and get honest answers. I have a 2002 Mustang GT I purchased a set of 1 inch wheel adapters. They are not spacers that go on the studs and then the tire goes on, these are the real deal ones called wheel adapters. The ones I have bolt on to the existing studs I dont have to cut the studs or anything, then once it is bolted on the the studs, the tire bolts onto studs that come out of the wheel adapter itself. There is a total of 10 lugs on each wheel. Now that we got that cleared away on what ones I have here is the question. I have 17x9 saleen wheels on my car. I put the adapter on and it looked awesome but I took them off after researching on the wheel spacers / adapters because I read that I am going to ruin my bearings and all this different stuff. So my question is this, I have a built rear with strange axles, ford racing carrier, and 4:10 gears so I don't want to risk messing up my rear end. Is it safe to use these spacer / adapters? I want true answers on this stuff. I read alot of different things even on them coming loose but it all comes down to quality I know that. But my whole question is, is anything going to be in danger using them with the wheels I have on my car? Are they safe to use? Do they truly ruin the bearings? I like the way they made the car sit it looked very tough but I am not going to ruin a really good rear end just for looks. Thank you guys.

sillyrabbit0420 08-07-2011 05:52 AM

i personally dislike the way they look, but that's rather beside the point. it's your car, and some people don't like the **** i've done to mine. so rock on with them.

i don't see how you'll ruin your whole rear end. if anything, it may put a little more stress on the axle bearings. that said, deep dish wheels will also put extra stress on wheel/axle bearings. but people do it all the time.

you'll be fine. just my .02

Shadows Stall 08-07-2011 11:37 AM

Yeah I hear ya I just want to get all the opinions I can. Thanks man.