2002 Roush stage 2 mustang crank, rod, piston upgrade. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

2002 Roush stage 2 mustang crank, rod, piston upgrade.

I have a 2002 stage2 Roush it has a 16 valve 4.6ltr. Roush engine. I was told that this means it came with Roush heads, intake, etc. I don't know for sure if it is any different from a regular stock 4.6. My problem is, the Roush supercharger it came with has been replaced with a much better kenne bell supercharger. The kenne bell will supposedly boost up to 30 lbs., but it has a pulley on it that boost only 10 lbs. A good friend of mine that does a little bit of engine building said the reason it has that pulley on it is because the stock crank, or bottom end is only rated for up to 450 horsepower. He said he knew the person who owned this car before me, and a couple of years ago he had the kenne bell supercharger installed and dyno tuned for the supercharger, and said at that time it showed 525horsepower at rear wheels. He had it programmed to cut the fuel at 5700 rpm. Does this sound right? Or can I put the pulley on that it needs to boost 30 lbs. Without blowing out the bottom end. If not what do I have to do to be able to run the supercharger as high as it will go. I've never had or even took a ride in a fast car till I purchased this car back on the Friday before memorial day a few months ago. I never had it dyno, but I know it has whatever gear comes stock, and the other day a guy took me for a ride in his stock gt. It's the one that had the 302 before they changed them to 4.6. I couldn't believe how slow it was. It felt like a Ford crown vic compared to mine, and it wouldn't even smoke the tires in 2nd and3rd just by pushing the peddle half way. It would only spin in 1st and you had to floor it and dump the clutch. If u did that to mine I believe it would send u straight to the funeral home. Can anybody tell me what's up?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011
Rookie
5.0L Member

Congrats on the car man anything with a kenne bell tends to be a bad ass machine but your friend is right, a standard 2 valve 4.6 can generally handle around 410-415whp before you start tearin your motor apart. If you want to run more boost then your going to need a fully or semi forged internal assembly (crank,rods,pistons,etc.) to handle the increase in hp. Now just because the kenne bell can run 30psi doesnt mean you should or even can. There are very few street driven mustangs with a roots supercharger that boost anything more than 25-28psi and drive daily and if you want high boost numbers the more work will need to be done to the motor.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

+1 to the above post, 400rwhp is about all a stock bottom end can take without being a ticking time bomb. And a good tune is key, regardless of power levels. 525 rwhp is a shitload, I hope they only did one run like that and quickly de-tuned it. I'm actually a little surprised it didn't blow up right then and there, many people have grenaded a stock engine way before hitting that mark.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to cogdillb Send a message via Yahoo to cogdillb
no Roush heads on your 4.6 Liter.

450rwhp is pushing it. unless you get a forged bottom, h beam rods etc........ 525 rwhp is an awesome number for a stock 4.6 without blowing up!
The fuel cut of I believe is just fine where its at not having a " built " engine.

Congrats on the stang man !!!!!!

Brandon Cogdill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page