01 cobra swap help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 01 cobra swap help

hi guys
i had a locksmith come to my house today to program my keys , but all his hand held said "ecu not found" .

so im stumped idk what else to do. figure maybe some of u have dont a v8 swap. i have the o1 cobra with the wiring harness , 01 computer , and 03 cobra gauge cluster. when i turn the key there is clicking in the right fender where the pcm? i think its called i forget .

any ideas or edvice would be great thx guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

I think you need the VIN from the car the ECU came out of...you might call a Ford dealer and ask them what to do

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The clicking noise you hear is the CCRM. The PCM is powered via the CCRM. Almost surely it says "ecu not found" because the PCM is not getting power. The PCM is not getting power because the CCRM is not working.

After a motor swap, start first by checking the grounds to the CCRM.

A set of wiring diagrams would be a big help. PM if interested.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmburns View Post
The clicking noise you hear is the CCRM. The PCM is powered via the CCRM. Almost surely it says "ecu not found" because the PCM is not getting power. The PCM is not getting power because the CCRM is not working.

After a motor swap, start first by checking the grounds to the CCRM.

A set of wiring diagrams would be a big help. PM if interested.

if the ccrm is making noise that means its grounded and getting power right ? but ill double check , good place to start
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It sure would be helpful to mention this is NOT a straight forward Cobra swap. It does complicate things that the donor car was a V6.

There are a number of differeces between the V6 and V8 in body harness and electronic sub-systems. The effect of those differeces depend upon the EXACT combination of original car, donor car, and which wiring harness has been retained and which have been swapped.

If the CCRM makes a single "click" when the key is on, that's likely OK. If the CCRM makes a "buzzing" sound or repeated clicks, that's a problem.

I'm sorry. I thought this was a SOHC to DOHC swap until I went back through some of your old threads.

Expect some issues mixing a 01 PCM with 03 cluster. Plan on comparing pin by pin the differences between the MY's cluster.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

would the dash harness have anything to do with the swap and cause a hand held to say pcm no found ?

been told that needs to be swapped out by a guy who did a swap years ago , just never saw anyone mention it before when they did v8 swaps.

he told me 99-00 changed in 01-04
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011
Apprentice

its the gauge cluster mine did the same u have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed

75mm throttle body & Upper plenum Bassani X pipe and SLP dumps. 3.73 gears. tri ax Short Shifter, custom diablo tune 78mm front sway bar and bbk strut tower brace roush shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page