2000 GT no oil pressure on cold startup - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

2000 GT no oil pressure on cold startup

So im having an issue with my oil pressure on a cold start. In the morning when I start my car (engine has been off overnight and is cold) the oil pressure gauge goes to its normal position for about two seconds and then goes to no pressure. I immediately turn off the engine and start it again. Same thing happens. It seems that I have to start it 4 or 5 times until it gets some warmth and then the oil pressure is fine. I haven't had a problem when its warm, only when it is dead cold. Could it be the sending unit? Any thoughts are appreciated!

That hunk of junk? Yeah, well I've made a few special modifications to that silver 2000 GT, it makes the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, eats turbo japs and poops chevy's

Bolt on 2000 GT. Oh yeah, and a 4V swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Yup probably the sending unit, there's probably a way to bench test it or something that I'm not aware of if you look around (Haynes manual is where I'd start) so you can get a more firm diagnosis. If it were your oil pump then this thread would be titled, "Help! I need a new engine!"

On a side note, you have pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level since this began and it's ok, right? What kind of oil filter are you running, and how old is it? Longshot, but could also be a ****** filter that's plugged up or just not flowing enough.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
If it were your oil pump then this thread would be titled, "Help! I need a new engine!"
Yeah that would be true haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
On a side note, you have pulled the dipstick and checked the oil level since this began and it's ok, right? What kind of oil filter are you running, and how old is it? Longshot, but could also be a ****** filter that's plugged up or just not flowing enough.
Oil and filter are fine. I use mobil 1 synthetic and have like 1500 miles left on the oil change.

My guess is the sending unit but im just seeing if anyone else has had this problem or knows for sure what is causing it

That hunk of junk? Yeah, well I've made a few special modifications to that silver 2000 GT, it makes the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, eats turbo japs and poops chevy's

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brutal Metal
relying on the stock dummy lite gauges for accurate readings are fruitless, the factory sending unit will show normal oil pressure with only 5psi

99 SVT Cobra-Teksid.020(284ci)
Stock HCI,Manley Pistons & H Beam Rods
Polished Vortech V-2,Reichard 3.10/6.75ATI(14lbs Boost)
GodSpeed SpecV Intercooler,60's,Twin Aviator's,
04 SVT Tank/Twin Hat,SCT-BA5000,BF IRS Brace
MPH Powerpipe,ProCharger BPV,
Mac O/R H & 2.5 CB
Vogtland Springs,Bilsteins,MM CC Plates,Steeda Tri-Ax,MT ET Streets
Home of Worlds Fastest All Ford Outlaw 10.5 Car 4.03/200.80 Fordspeed Racing
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Sure sounds like the sending unit. If they are dirt cheap, put one in and see what happens...otherwise have a shop check the pressure with an independent gauge.

347 turbo 95 GT & roller 95 GT (past 408w car)

MOESMUSCLEMUSTANGS.WORDPRESS.COM
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

The oil pressure sending unit is a simple on/off switch. It's easy to test by grounding the wire. Once grounded, the dash gauge should read OK.

No ground=no oil pressure.

So anything that keeps the signal from making a good ground will keep the gauge from working.

Suggest starting by checking the wires on the sending unit to see if they are clean and tight. Next ground the sending unit wire and confirm that dash gauge reads "normal". If it does, replace the sending unit.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Thanks for all of the responses guys! My shop is testing it tomorrow. I will give an update when they figure it out!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Yep, turns out it was the sending unit! Thanks for all of the responses guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cold start , oil pressure , oil pressure gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page