98 GT. 4.6 Clunking - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

98 GT. 4.6 Clunking

Ok finally took it out for a good drive checking if it's over heating and all looks good. But while I was out I heard a clunking type sound on the passenger side, could not tell if it was coming from the fro or back or maybe both. I looked around when I got home, I checked out the shocks and they were tight springs looked good. I pushed down and bounced a little on it and heard nothing. When I drove it up the road I heard it again, it's a mystery clunk????? Sounds like a loose or broken shock or a body mount but I can't find anything wrong. Can't really see the body mounts but from bouncing on it I heard a felt nothing. Anybody know what this may be:?::?::?:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011
GT Member
5.0L Member

Does the clunking increase with engine speed? Or is it suspension related? Or does it only happen uphill in high gear? Help us out a little buddy

Just an old ford...

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011
Apprentice

could be the front shock. You can't tell by pressing down on the car.

'98 GT Convertible Pony, Pacific Green/Saddle DD, 4R70W, PI Swap, Ford Racing heads, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, Ford Racing red wireset, SCT tuner, MSD Blaster coil packs, K&N Custom Ram Air, Steeda pulleys, Super 44 Flows, NGK Iridiums, Royal Purple, Stage 8 header bolts, Kenwood KDC-X792, Mach 460 speakers, Snap-On tools made it happen, No need to go over 300HP... Awaiting J-Mod, Mild Cam, Accufab TB & Plenum, H&R lowering sport springs, Tokico dampers. Possibly LT's or X Pipe.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I am 99.9% sure it is suspension, I can feel it at all speeds. Very slight on a flat smooth road but I can really feel it over bumps and pot holes. I did not check out the top of front shocks yet getting dark or body mounts don't know where they are yet, this car if new for me just got it last week and finding out all this stuff now.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

Brake calipers clunk over bumps and go undetected during a visual search for the offending noisy component. Ask me how I know...

It's because one of my brake calipers came loose.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

That is something I will have to check in the morning, did it sound like a broken or loose shock or a loose body mount, that is the sound I think I am hearing but they seem to be good.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Did you check the roll bar bushings and control arm bushings while you were poking around?

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

has the car been lowered?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011
Banned
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limustang View Post
That is something I will have to check in the morning, did it sound like a broken or loose shock or a loose body mount, that is the sound I think I am hearing but they seem to be good.
1. What the hell is a body mount? Really.
2. You must be doing some hard driving to break a shock.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

No hard driving at all, I just got the car about a week ago so this is all new to me, I am finding out more about it as I go. Also there has to be some kind of a bolt attaching the body to the frame/chasis, no??? The car seems to be lowered but like I said this is all new to me and the other owner has gone of to the military and I have no way of finding out from him what he did to it. It looks like he was setting it up for speed/racing around town. I know it is a project but that is why I am here on this site trying to get some info and help. Really !
Rookie
4.6L Member

There are no body mounts on these cars they have a k-member that is held up with 8 bolts and holds the engine, steering, and suspention, dont think that that is what you are hearing. It sounds to me like the front struts are bad and they are bottoming out.

2000 GT
Banned
4.6L Member

I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the car parked on level ground. All the way around. Under hood shots along with underbody shots. Sounds like you got a lot of...this may have been changed and that may have been changed. With a lot of pictures around, inside, outside...suspension..drive-train...we can probably be able to tell you what has and what has not been done to the car.

Just an idea.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

That would be great, i am gonna take a bunch tomorrow and see if I can get them up on here. Thanks alot:smilie
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

ok I have the pics on my profile but is there a way to link them to this thread? If there is I cant figure it out, lol.... ????
Banned
4.6L Member

When you hit the "post reply" button, there is a box that says manage attachments. Browse to the pics you want, and upload them.

If using "quick reply" click on "go advanced."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page