2003 Cobrra Hood swap for a 2000 GT Hood, are they compatiable? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

2003 Cobrra Hood swap for a 2000 GT Hood, are they compatiable?

I have a line on a 2003 Cobra Hood, I really like the look of the heat extractors and frankly don't like the "High" hood scoop on the 2000 GT. It is nonfunctional and I have a problem with performance parts that do nothing. I guess the exttractors don't really do much but they also don't stick up 1 1/2 inches.

Will a Cobra Hood fit my GT. Is the leading edge of the hoods the same on the GT's as the Cobra's since the front bumpers are different between the cars and is the rear of the hood where it fits up to the cowl at the windshield the same? Would I have to buy a Cobra front bumper?
TarPony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004
4.6L Member

the Cobra hood will fit with no problem. the fenders are all the same on all the mustangs. the only difference is the front bumper skin

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

didn't i read on this forum somewhere that when u replace the front bumper or the hood (for the '03) you need the second piece also.i guess it fits without the other but there is a 1/4" extra gap between the hood anf front bumper cover if you dont use both or something like that. i always thought they would bolt right up, too. Anyone else remember this tread or have any insight?

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004
4.6L Member

You could try calling some of the manufacturers of aftermarket hoods. You might not get far if you come right out and tell them you are just calling for some generic information. You could ask about their hoods, how much they cost, how much is shipping, then slowly draw the conversation towards fitting. You could slip your question in at that point.

This is what we used to do before Al Gore invented the Internet.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004
Rookie

It bolts right up and fits no problem.....
Same car...... different engines.
Bumper does not matter...

Jimmy

2004 SVT Mystichrome coupe
It's STOCK!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

i know that they are the same car with a different motor. but i read somewhere that the 03 hood was a bit shorter and the front bumper came up a bit higher.

4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004
4.6L Member

Yes, it is true that the 03-04 Cobra hood and 99-up GT front bumper fascia are NOT a perfect match. You can put on the hood no prob, but there will be a slight gap between the leading edge of the hood and the front bumper.

I was going to do this myself when I had my GT and the fellow at Carolina Mustang told me that a good body shop could make it look pretty good, but I didn't like the idea of "making" something work that wasn't really designed that way.

Sean Hyland was at one time working on a reproduction Cobra hood that was designed to work with the GT fascia, so you might want to give them a call and see if they ever actually saw production.

BTW, the people at Ford Racing verified the slight incompatibility of these parts when I talked to them about it, so this info is pretty solid :thumbup
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

thanks for the info, airborne. its good to have solid info. like that. i was pretty sure of that myself! i just never understood.....why would they do that?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass97gt
thanks for the info, airborne. its good to have solid info. like that. i was pretty sure of that myself! i just never understood.....why would they do that?
I don't know man, I'd be rich if I could explain some of the stuff that engineers do :kooky:

Here's my take on it though...

For starters, the 03-04 Cobra's front end is supposedly designed with increased airflow potential for increased cooling capacity in mind (these beasts do run a little warmer than the average 'Stang). Hence, a larger opening for both the radiator and the intercooler's heat sink.

It could also be a very subtle way of making the rise in the hood not so dramatic. It is kinda hard to tell at a casual glance, but the hood on the 03-04 Cobra is quite a bit higher near the front than a GTs hood. I suppose this was a design necessity for clearing the extra height of the Eaton. Either way, it's not very noticeable with the leading edge of the hood a little higher than normal, because this sort of "flattens" the hoods profile somewhat.

Who knows, maybe some design artist just wanted to make life harder on guys who want to make clones. Personally, I vote for the airflow/cooling capacity theory. It makes the most sense to me
GT Member
4.6L Member

i think i'm with you on the cooling theory. i dont think they would do it to prevent people frpm clonong there cars. let's face it, the aftermarket was probably making those hoods before the '03 cobra even came out. i'd like to see an '03-'04 cobra front bumper cover made to fit 94-98s, along with the rear bumper cover. i really like the rear bumper covers on those cobras.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Thumbs up Thanks alot guys!!!

Hey thanks alot guys, I think that I am going to treat myself to the hood. Like I said originally I like the look of the GT hood scoop but the fact that it is nonfunctional yet is so prominent seems a bit corney. I like the heat extractor look of the Cobra hood and I want a authentic Ford part, further my goal is ultimately a Kenni Bell Blower anyway (along with a rear end IRS swap and brake swap). I don't want a counterfiet Cobra however and I want the car to be a 2000 GT that will run with the Cobras. I would think a total of 1/4 inch can be cheated to 1/8 on the front and 1/8 inch on the back, that is if we are talking about the difference in length.
Thanks again, TarPony

I wouldn't swap to an IRS man. Cobras sometimes have probs hooking up because the irs likes to hop. Our GT rear ends are made for drag racing (in fact some cobras switch out of the irs). Just my .02 cents
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Yes I have heard that before, and swaping is probably more of a pipe dream than anything else as there are other things that I would like to do that are more cost effective and simpler. The IRS is not high on the priority list as I have never done one before but I have done several blowers and a blower would be high on the list. Additionally the Mustangs were road racing for years with that solid axle and sinching that thing into the chassis with better control arms, watts link or a panhard bar would probably accomplish alot making it competitive with a IRS, albeit with a harsher ride.
Thing is that I am really more of a carver and less of a drag racer, so the wheel hop and having the bullit proof 8.8 solid are not as large of a concern for me as they would be for a quarter miler.
Thanks for your .02 cents bro I appreciate it!! :thumbup
TarPony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Hornet
I wouldn't swap to an IRS man. Cobras sometimes have probs hooking up because the irs likes to hop. Our GT rear ends are made for drag racing (in fact some cobras switch out of the irs). Just my .02 cents
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gnr_70
Smile Hood closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmarv347
the Cobra hood will fit with no problem. the fenders are all the same on all the mustangs. the only difference is the front bumper skin
I have a 00 GT bonestock. Is there a new way to close the hood without slamming it from a feet or so in the air? I like to leave the hood a stock without switching to hood pinned carbon fibers.

Thanks for any info.

'00 GT AOD
K&N air filter
Front Grill Delete
Fully Reclinable F seats, Rear Delete Seat
Eibach Wheel Hubcentric Spacers (Rear)
Eibach Pro System
FlowMaster Super 44 Series mufflers
***forgive for my cheap a$$ upgrades, I know LOL***
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr_70
I have a 00 GT bonestock. Is there a new way to close the hood without slamming it from a feet or so in the air? I like to leave the hood a stock without switching to hood pinned carbon fibers.

Thanks for any info.
I would think that you could just place it down and firmly, evenly and carefully push down. My stock hood is fiberglass so it won't dent from the pressure. I usually drop the hood though and on my other car that has a aluminum hood skin I definetly drop it. I assume that it is the denting that you are worried about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page