Radar Detector Question??? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004 Thread Starter

Question Radar Detector Question???

I picked up a radar detector today, but found that when I turn the car/ignition off, the radar detector stays on due to interrupted power to the cigarette lighter power outlet. So I can either:

A) Make it a point to unplug/turn off the radar detector every time???
B) Take it back and buy one with a battery-safer option that automatically shuts off???
C) Not worry about it and leave it on – the low-voltage required by the radar detector shouldn’t drain the battery???
D) Rewire the cigarette lighter power outlet to disable when the car is off???

Has any one else run into this and what do you suggest?
Thanks,

~Josh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

yes, just rewire it. either into the ignition switch or into your "switched" power wire on your radio. if its an aftermarket radio in your car, it should be the yellow wire.

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004

If it were me and i have one as well... i just leave it plugged in. the current draw cant be anything....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004
4.6L Member

So...wouldn't this really be a cigarette lighter question?? I thought you wanted advice on WHICH radar detector and I was all ready to brag about my Valentine-One.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_0351
A) Make it a point to unplug/turn off the radar detector every time???
B) Take it back and buy one with a battery-safer option that automatically shuts off???
C) Not worry about it and leave it on – the low-voltage required by the radar detector shouldn’t drain the battery???
D) Rewire the cigarette lighter power outlet to disable when the car is off???
E) Drive the speed limit, and do your racing on the strip

If you start your engine at least once/day, the drain caused by this small device will not be noticed. If you're gonna park it for the entire weekend, you best pull the plug first.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004
MACH I Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to 1998GT
just pull the plug. easy

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

if you wire it into your ignition or another "switched" power, you can hide the cord instead of having that coiled cord hanging everywhere. then you wont have to "pull the plug". if you are going to keep it in your car than do it right. dont just plug it in and stick it on your windshield. that looks "half assed" if you ask me.

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005
4.6L Member

i agree with badass by just tucking the wirre behind the dash and wiring the cord into even say your fuse box by using some kind of cap ending and find a fuse thats hot once the ignition is on so when your turn your car on vualla your radar detector comes on as well easy and simple
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash Riprock
So...wouldn't this really be a cigarette lighter question?? I thought you wanted advice on WHICH radar detector and I was all ready to brag about my Valentine-One.
not to hijack thris thread, but i hear those valentine detectors are really nice...a friend has one and it is real kewl. just dont know if I can pay $300+ for a valentine when i can buy a top of the line cobra on e-bay for $100 and spend the money i saved on go fast parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page