Stock Rear Spoiler Question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Cool Stock Rear Spoiler Question

On a 2000 GT (rag top if it makes a difference) is there suppose to be any kind of gasket or seal between the stock spoiler and the trunk lid?

I took the spoiler off yesterday, and was agast to see how much caked on dirt was there. When the dirt was removed, I was disappointed to see just how badly the deck lid finish had been affected.

I have evidence that the spoiler was not a factory paint job, and can see that the deck lid probably has been off the car. So, I wouldn't be surprised to know that a gasket or seal is missing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Well, Ford says no. Factory supplied spoiler does not have a gasket or seal between it and the deck lid.

Now, what do I do about the excessive accumulation of dirt? Simply removing it should not be the correct answer. Don't think Ford envisioned removal of the spoiler twice a year. Besides, accidents can happen, even when we're careful

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004
GT Member
4.6L Member

no gasket on my stocker either when I removed it; significant accumulation of crud around edge of mounting 'posts'. I put some duct tape on holes from inside trunk and then cleaned/clay-bared the trunk lid around holes - Cleaned up pretty well. When installing new 'boss' type spoiler I put very thin bead of silicone around outside of holes, installed new spoiler, put more silcone on studs where they came thru trunklid, then washer/nut. Also went back and waxed around mounting feet pretty heavily. Does seem a bit odd there was no gasket; easy enough to make one.

I'm back - 2001 Cobra convertible, 84K miles, acquired 12/10/11; just beginning to figure out what it needs to be right (beyond the leaky top..) - top to be done 12/27. Changed the coolant, <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>. fluid, oil, differential fluid. Replaced the LF wheel hub assy. Ordered a pair of Blisteins for the rear. Next up: full-length subs, strut brace, stainless brake hoses F&R and a bunch of FatMat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page