mach 1 hood scoop "shaker" question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005 Thread Starter
Rookie

mach 1 hood scoop "shaker" question

if i put one of these on my 2001 gt, i understand you have to cut the hood and install it. would i actually have to go out and buy a mach 1 hood also, or will my gt hood work just as well? i know the mach 1 hoods were raised. just curious. anybody have pictures of a gt with a shaker on it?

i read somewhere that there is a plastic piece taht you attach to the car hood that brings it up a little to match a mach 1, but also heard i could get away with the black sticker look.

anybody have any advice.:walksmile

2003 Mach 1 DSG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005

You can actually just use your stock hood. You won't get that extra bulge like the real Mach 1's have, but you can just use the hood you've got to save some $$

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005
4.6L Member

i would recommend buying the Mach hood...heard a lot of people complaining about the black "Applique" that they need to attach to the hood....think it was posted on stangnet but after talking with some guys who installed the kit and cut their hood, they were not very satisfied with the look or the performance gains.....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005

I personally wouldn't put the black sticker thing on there. If you want that stripe, get someone to paint a flat black stripe on there, looks better for one, and its quality kicks the sticker's ass.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky
if i put one of these on my 2001 gt, i understand you have to cut the hood and install it. would i actually have to go out and buy a mach 1 hood also, or will my gt hood work just as well? i know the mach 1 hoods were raised. just curious. anybody have pictures of a gt with a shaker on it?

i read somewhere that there is a plastic piece taht you attach to the car hood that brings it up a little to match a mach 1, but also heard i could get away with the black sticker look.

Theres a kit out there (www.yearone.com sells one - ain't cheap) that can be installed in your car. My experience is that it doesn't help performance, and may indeed restrict airflow a bit. I tried a similar "ram air" setup on my 2002 that worked not at all (didn't actually hurt, but certainly didn't help). There's a real long "ram air" thread on this forum that contains mountains of data.

Its an expensive and relatively involved install, with small payout on the other end. if you're not experienced at metal working, you're likely to do real damage to your hood (my 2002 has a fiberglass hood - I think your 2001 does too). Cutting neat, pretty openings right where they need to be without splintering out past the trim is not easy...

My advice: Spend the money on other mods and leave your stock hood alone. If you can find the Mach 1 parts in a junkyard somewhere for a good price, no problem, but I predict this does not happen (they aren't numerous, and the folks who latch onto the totaled ones know what the parts are really worth - try finding Bullit intakes for less than $1800!).

I can't see this project costing less than $500 - which can get you some real horsepower with any number of other upgrades.

Luck with whatever you decide to do - just let us know what happens.

tripleblack

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005
GT Member
4.6L Member

heres some pics of the mach 1 ram air kit with stock hoods.
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/460.html
i think its a waste of money too. its strictly only for appearance, not performance.
here's another kit too.
http://www.karkraft.com/new_page_7.htm

1998 SVT Cobra #4941 of 5174 built on June 19,1998
4.30s, Speedcal, WMS CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, Sniper Tuner, March pulleys, Mac O/R H pipe, Flowmaster orig. 40's, King Cobra clutch, D/S rotors, FRPP 9mm's, Max. Motorsports C/C plates, Termy front control arms, H&R SS springs, MM solid steering rack bushings, Tokico HP struts and shocks, Mac subrames, HID Bi-Xenon 6000k kit, Saleen 18" wheels, Saleen S-281 spoiler, sequential tails
Up Next: Termi diff, 31 spline Axles, LPW girdle, MM LCAs
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006

Actually i have a 2001 gt also, and i am wanting to do the same thing, i know this guy, he had a gt, put it on.. from karkraft made the shaker stuff, its the oem ford shaker, with a new bracket for the gt, and i am goig to buy a stock mach 1 hood.. works just the same.. and it came out nice.. [email protected] email me .. maybe i can show you come pics.. let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008
4.6L Member

Question Any conclusions?

So, in the end... Will a Mach 1 hood be compatible with a Roush or CDC Shaker system?

Any necessary changes that need to be made to the hood/system?

If on the other hand I decide to go for the KarKraft shaker (The OE Ford Shaker) where do I get the duct and brackets to mount it on a GT?

Hope you can help me.

Regards
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008
4.6L Member

As a Mach 1 owner I can tell you, the bulge is there for a reason. Its not for looks. Your gt has a 4.6 but its not set up the same way as the Mach 1. It needs the hump for clearance.

BTW a functional Cowl Air Induction would be more benefical. The Shaker would not be as effeciant, although kick ass looking
4.6L Member

But if I have a CAI which performs quite fine, already have a mach 1 hood ready to mount and go for a Roush or CDC shaker kit just for the looks, what do you think of that set up?

In fact Im thinking on using a CDC adapter for shaker and vortex blower... THAT IS Performance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page