intake manifold selection - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

intake manifold selection

Howdy! first time poster on forum...My son has recently bought a 1998 mustang convertable gt and it has a cracked / leaky intake manifold. I was searching around pricing them and came across two- the first one is a "Super Auto" intake with all the gaskets and thermostat for $138.00 the second was a "Dorman" with the same goods for $190.00. Has anyone had experiance with "Super Auto" ? I'm sure there are much better ones out there than either one of these but we're on a very skinny budget.Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

PI intake manifold and never look back. It was on all the PI motors. So that means Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Mustang. The truck PI manifolds had shorter runners IIRC.

You will want to replace yours now with one with the aluminum crossover. That way you don't have to deal with this crap.

Did I mention that you will gain about 15hp too? Seriously do it, and don't get Dorman. They are crap.

Search PI intake manifold swap, it's everywhere. You can find PI intakes used, but just play it safe and only buy Ford OEM. No aftermarket stuff like dorman.

Also just a note, just because it has the aluminum crossover doesn't mean it's PI either. So be aware of that. I would reccommend getting this one: Ford Racing 4.6L Performance Improvement (PI) Mustang Intake Manifold M-9424-P46 - Free Shipping!

Ask one of the AM reps on here for the discount too. I'm pretty sure they still do that.

Black with saddle 1996 Mustang GT convertible. Manual. NPI, 2v 4.6L. Full bolt-ons.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

You can get an excellent used Ford OEM PI intake on ebay for as low as $80. Maybe lower, but that's my personal experience.

Nothing better than factory smooth...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

+ 3 to what those guys said. A replacement OEM PI manifold will cost about the same as an OEM NPI (what's currently on the car) and not only will it be back up and running but also will get a very nice 15-20rwhp bump and be able to breathe past 4000 rpm.

Acronym education..... PI = Performance Improved; it's what was used on Mustang 4.6's beginning in 1999 and the other above mentioned cars beginning in 2001. NPI = Non PI.

When stuff breaks, use it as an opportunity to upgrade.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Your glass is half full.

Nothing better than factory smooth...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
Site Sponsor

OP,

These guys have the right info for you! Go with a new PI lower manifold and avoid cracking issues down the road, plus pick up some extra power. It's a two birds with one stone type of thing!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hey thanks for all the good input! I followed the link Burninrock24 posted and it looks like I may have to switch some other things to make the up grade to the PI manifold. in "questions" it said I would need to switch the following if I have 1998 GT :

PI Heads
Heater/Coolant hoses from 99-04 GT
Alternator Bracket from 01-04
Gasket Set for PI heads

Does all that sound right? How would I tell if I already have PI heads- or would my current heads be fine? thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
When stuff breaks, use it as an opportunity to upgrade.
Amen to that! My '96 manifold just crapped out and I'm replacing the engine with a PI from '91, with less than half the miles. :yelpleased:

1996 4.6L GT Convertible | Auto | Deep Forest Green
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyrabbit View Post
Amen to that! My '96 manifold just crapped out and I'm replacing the engine with a PI from '91, with less than half the miles. :yelpleased:
Hope you meant 01 and not 91!!
PONY Member
4.6L Member

^ I agree

Sonic Blue 2003 Mustang GT, 75mm bbk throttle body, C&l intake plenum, bbk cai, sct handheld tuner, gt500 wheels, mach1 chin spoiler, h.i.d 8000k headlights, 3.73 ford racing gears, SR performance short shifter, SR performance subframe connectors, mac o/r h pipe, slp lm1 mufflers, and more to come!
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boominup View Post
Hope you meant 01 and not 91!!
Crap, stupid... yes, meant 2001!

1996 4.6L GT Convertible | Auto | Deep Forest Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page