What's wrong and how much to repair? 2003 V6 Ford Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

What's wrong and how much to repair? 2003 V6 Ford Mustang

So my baby is making an odd noise at lower speeds. It sounds very much like an airplane passing over from the inside of the car and it feels like it is coming from the back left. From the outside it sounds like metal dragging, although nothing seems to be out of place from underneath. Its been doing this for about 3 days. On my way home the brakes started to feel "loose" if that makes sense. As I gently put my foot down on the brakes it had no effect for a small (but scary) moment before slowly coming to a stop as I brought the brake peddle closer to the floor then I usually have to. I parked her and called AAA. I didn't want to do any more damage to my car or anyone else with the brakes the way they were. Could someone with a little more car knowledge than myself give me a clue to what is wrong specifically and what I should expect to pay for repairs? Thanks in advance and happy driving!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013
Banned
4.6L Member

take it to a shop and have someone look at it...this is quite vague on what it could be

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013
Rookie

I agree with 2ManyStangs. Not enough information, if you post a video, maybe we could help you better. First thing that came to my mind was something brake related. Can't be for sure till I see it on video or in person. Which isn't happening. :p

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Guessing the brake pad wore through to the backing plate, started scraping pretty good, drove for 3 more days like that, then the caliper eventually puked out the backing plate which dramatically changed pedal feel. I'll even take it a step further, it was the inboard pad backing plate.

OP, don't drive your car at all until this is fixed. Not even to a shop, have it towed.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page