Need help replacing A/C Freon ports! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need help replacing A/C Freon ports!

I have a 1997 GT. Both my high and low port o-rings are gone so the A/C system will leak out Freon in the matter of hours. I was going to replace the lines, BUT some folks say that you can just replace the ports and Ford carries the ports so they must be replaceable. So my real question it...

How do you replace the high and low Freon ports?

4.6L 281 V8
3.7L 227 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

You talking about the Schraeder valve - little spring loaded thingy that looks the same as a tire valve?

There's a special tool for them (Schraeder valve removal tool) and they just unscrew.

Once you put new ones in, hopefully you are aware that you can't just hook up a can of 134a and fill the system. Prior to filling, a vacuum pump must be hooked up to it, which serves two purposes - verify that the system is sealed, because it won't be able to pull and hold vacuum if there are any leaks; and the other is to remove atmospheric moisture from the system which will have gotten in when you were changing the valves - refrigerant and moisture do not like each other, in any amount, and making the two hang out together will cause corrosion of parts and components internal to the cooling system.

Regarding the vacuum pump and properly recharging the system this is best left to a shop, just in case there's any ambiguity there.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

My car does not have Schraeder valves. It is the old ball style valve with an o-ring inside. It is R-134a though. Don't why Ford decided to do that. I managed to unscrew with low side, but can't get the high side lose

4.6L 281 V8
3.7L 227 V6

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013
Rookie

Beleive it or not the damn thing unscrew as a whole. There is a special socket to remove them. However *cough* channel locks *cough* if you dont need the tool you wont use more than three times ever. Be gentle either way you booger the hose and your up an unsanitary tributary .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

I got the low side unscrewed, but the high side wouldn't unscrew. A week later I spent $15 on both valves to see how the high unscrew and it just came out! (With channel locks of course) Filled her up with some Freon and no leaks with 48 degree air blowing out now.

Thanks for all the help guys! It is much appreciated!

4.6L 281 V8
3.7L 227 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air , freon , heat , port

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page