Convertible Top Struggles - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

To check the fluid, once you have the top well vinyl thingy out of the way so you can see the motor (which is directly behind the seat, btw), pull up firmly on the motor to unsnap it from it's base (it's held there by four rubber plugs) you will see a black rubber plug on the side of the motor. Tilt the motor so the side with the plug is facing up toward you and remove the plug.

Have a rag or two handy in case a little spills. The easiest way I improvised to fill it was, I bought a little $5 thing of household multi-purpose oil that has that telescoping zoom-spout. All I needed was the container so I dumped the oil and filled it with Mercon. Reason for all of this is because the fill hole on the motor is only about 1/4"-3/8", so you'll need something small to fit in there to fill with. I thought about using a turkey baster, but I had already pissed my wife off previously for stealing one for another automotive project.

I don't know if there's an official fill level, I just put as much as I could before it started spilling out and then replaced the plug and it's been cool. Run the top up and down a few times to bleed any air out of the system. By about the second trip up you should notice it working better and whining less and by the third it will be like nothing ever happened.

And +1 to Boominup's post. If the level is full or adding fluid doesn't help, and there are no signs of any leakage then it may be a bad pump motor.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

FIXED IT. Turns out the bracket that holds the hydraulic cylinder in place came off so instead of the cylinder pushing the top up and down the cylinder itself was moving up and down. I got it put back on and the nut tightened down I decided to check the otherside and boy am I glad I did because that one was loose too.

I cant figure out how to embed pictures from photobucket so heres the links:

1997 GT - Modded - SOLD

1999 Cobra Vert.
K&N Drop In
MagnaFlow Catback (when not open mid)
Tuned By BAMA with SCT SF3/X3
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misweetrevenge View Post
FIXED IT. Turns out the bracket that holds the hydraulic cylinder in place came off so instead of the cylinder pushing the top up and down the cylinder itself was moving up and down. I got it put back on and the nut tightened down I decided to check the otherside and boy am I glad I did because that one was loose too.

Glad to hear it's fixed! Also, glad to hear that it wasn't the cylinders or motor!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misweetrevenge View Post

YOU ARE THE MAN! Good find! Sometimes a little extra effort can reward us with a whole lotta wisdom!

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Thanks guys for all the help. Now that I know where the motor is and cylinders are I can change the fluid as well sometime this summer. It will probably be much quieter and a little smoother after I do so.

1997 GT - Modded - SOLD

1999 Cobra Vert.
K&N Drop In
MagnaFlow Catback (when not open mid)
Tuned By BAMA with SCT SF3/X3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
convertible , hesitate , lag , sticks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page