Problem idling now not wanting to start - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Problem idling now not wanting to start

For the longest time my 2000 GT has had a little issue where I would start it up, go to drive away, and the first time I give it a moderate amount of gas it sputters for a split second, then catches and takes off. It was just doing it once right after start up, then it wouldn't do it again.. now it's not wanting to start on me. The other day it took three cranks to get it to start up, and I'm thinking it's an issue with the fuel system. The first time it did this to me it turned over and died, the second time it turned over twice, idled extremely low, then died. Today it turned over and started idling around 250rpm, and after a second or two shot to 2100 and slowly came back down to it's normal idle around 1000. I'm gonna get some injector cleaner first and see if that makes a difference just because it's cheap, but if that doesn't do it does this sound like it needs the fuel filter changed? As I've said before I'm not mechanically inclined, but it seems like the only issue is it's not getting enough fuel on turn over to start right up. I've had the car a year and I haven't changed the fuel filter, I'm not sure about the previous owner, but I just turned over 60k on the odo.

'00 GT - Bone stock (.. for now)

Chevy, like a rock: heavy, ugly, and meant to be left on the side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I wouldn't say fuel filter but possibly battery. Can you rule out anything at all?

PDM Designers

Mods
Jegs Off-Road H-Pipe
MGW Short-Throw
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
Custom Tuned by Performance Evolution
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

I didn't think it was the battery because it doesn't have a problem cranking and turning over, it just won't pick up the idle on start. Key word being think.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Always check for vacuum leaks. Especially between the MAF and throttle body.

Try this trick. Cycle the key on/pause/off several times without cranking. Now try to crank the motor. Does this improve starting? If so, think fuel pressure leak down.

Try this. Hold the throttle half way open during cranking. Does this improve starting?

Would help to KNOW the fuel pressure.....

Here's a crank with no start check list.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...e.html#2984838

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013
Rookie

Clean your IAC valve with MAF cleaner or carb cleaner. You have to pull it off the upper plentum and let it dry out before you put it back on and hook it back up. If that works you know the problem and you can ride it out before you have to buy a new one. Don't buy the replacement from anyone but Ford. They are about $150 but will last. Clean first to make sure.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

I would attach a pressure gauge to your fuel rail and see what your fuel pressure is doing before and after start up like wmburns said, sounds like your fuel pump is going south. If you haven't changed your filter in a long time you might as well, it's a cheap part.

I am the proudest member of the FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE CLASS OF 2010, Whoop!! Thanks and Gig Em

-2001 Dark Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #3064,
Vortech Charged 32V. 533 rwhp, 456 ft-lb @ 15 psi boost

-1969 Mustang Grande: House fire, RIP
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

+1 on fuel filter. Maintain your vehicle!

I'm leaning toward MAF on this one. Try unplugging it and starting it up. See what happens. While you're at it, check the condition of the MAF and its wiring. Clean and repair as necessary.

Nothing better than factory smooth...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Issue is officially resolved, I do believe.. all for the cost of.. free. One of my officers that is a little more tech savvy than I came down and took a look at it with me, and when I fired it up he pulled the vacuum line off the EGR valve, which resulted in a miss or backfire (couldn't tell from inside the cab) then the car idled up to it's normal speed and is actually running smoother than before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page