Can't get this off my bumper! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Can't get this off my bumper!

Hey guys,
I have a 2000 GT and I can't help but to stare at my bumper all the time shaking my head... Whoever had the car before me got something all over the front bumper and the rear bumper just behind the tires. It looks like my car is dirty when in reality it is as clean as I can get it. I have attempted to clean this crap off for 3 years and nothing! I even tried scrubbing it hard with a magic eraser (as bad as that may be), but it really can't get any worse. I've scrubbed with small wooden bristled brush, waxed, polished, clay bared, everything I can think of. I DO NOT want to repaint the bumpers! Is there anything that can be done? Some product, of DIY I can try? Heres the pics...
Can't get this off my bumper!-photo-sep-05-11-01-10-am.jpg

Can't get this off my bumper!-photo-sep-05-11-01-49-am.jpg

Can't get this off my bumper!-photo-sep-05-11-02-27-am.jpg

PS. Not sure why the pictures rotated upside down?

2000 Mustang GT!!!
FRPP Intake manifold, Flowmaster 40's with larger pipes and tips (Nice deep tone).

"I want to own a shop where people can come and not get completely ripped off" - Ludacris (Fast Five)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

Are you sure that is ON the painted items and not clear coat that has been chipped / compromised?

I would take it to one of my local detailers, the guys that do the work for the dealers in town, and show them and see what they have to say.
They might be able to make it gone in 10 minutes with a buffer so long as it is not clear coat damage.

2011 GT Premium, 400A, MT, Black with Stone interior
My Mods So Far (in order): VA Legal Tint, Polk DB571 Speakers - Front & Rear, Third brake light pulser, MMD Classic Louvers, GT500 AB, Bondra Performance EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension, resonators cut out - do this!, Steeda shorty black antenna.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

If you rub your hand across the bumper, you can feel the white crap that is there. Trust me, only about 10% of the stuff you see in the pics are actually chips.

2000 Mustang GT!!!
FRPP Intake manifold, Flowmaster 40's with larger pipes and tips (Nice deep tone).

"I want to own a shop where people can come and not get completely ripped off" - Ludacris (Fast Five)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
Apprentice

The greatest detailer I ever bought:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound : Amazon.com : Automotive

If that and a polishing pad can't get it off, I don't know what will.

2010 Red Candy GT - So Far: Airaid Race CAI + BAMA Tune, Pypes Violator Axle-backs, Daytime Running Lamp Turn Signal Module, GT/CS Spoiler, Hood Scoop
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member

Try some laquer thinner. Saturate a cloth and rub lightly. Rinse with water afterwards. See if that takes it off. wear gloves using that stuff. It wont hurt your paint but rinse after you use it to be extra safe. Ive had to do this once or twice before for overspray. Maybe it will take off whatever it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 5.0, Black, Auto, Procharger P1SC stg 2, 4.13'' pulley(8 psi), 3'' x pipe, Circle D 3c, Kooks axleback, BMR control arms. 593rwhp
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013
PONY Member
Classic Member

You might try
1. Goo Gone - Availabel at WalMart, Home Depot etc
2. WD-40- Anywhere
3. Murphy's Soap - Liquid concentrate- WalMart, Home Depot etc
What ever you try, use a small amount on a clean Cloth and Try in an inconspicuous place, so if it does not work, you won't damage any visible part.
I have had good luck with Goo-Gone, you may want to let it set on the area for a few minutes then a lot of elbow grease.

Joe -K4JOE
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I will try all of these things over time and hopefully one will work! I did just take it to a local autobody shop and he basically told me there was no hope without replacing/repainting.

2000 Mustang GT!!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynwood View Post
Try some laquer thinner. Saturate a cloth and rub lightly. Rinse with water afterwards. See if that takes it off. wear gloves using that stuff. It wont hurt your paint but rinse after you use it to be extra safe. Ive had to do this once or twice before for overspray. Maybe it will take off whatever it is.

Definitely would give that a try.

PDM Designers

Mods
Jegs Off-Road H-Pipe
MGW Short-Throw
K&N FIPK
S&R Lowering Springs
Flowmaster Super 10's
Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2
Custom Tuned by Performance Evolution
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013
PONY Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Have you tried a good rubbing compound? What did the body shop tell you happened to the paint?

I am the proudest member of the FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE CLASS OF 2010, Whoop!! Thanks and Gig Em

-2001 Dark Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #3064,
Vortech Charged 32V. 533 rwhp, 456 ft-lb @ 15 psi boost

-1969 Mustang Grande: House fire, RIP
Apprentice

Go to a auto paint shop buy 4000 grit
WET SAND paper feels like a normal sheet of paper but little ruff and a small square rubber block, with sand paper on the block soak it for a few minutes and out if the sun or cool area, use a hose and wet sand lightly the white spots and it should come off
As long as you don't use tons of pressure your clear coat is to thick for the sand paper to penetrate. Lots of water on the spot sanding

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page