What are my options? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSN95guy View Post
oh hey!

our sponsor Modular Racing just posted soemthing about a forged rotating assembly for only $900!! this is actually perfect timing for you! that's only $120 more than what i found on summit for 200% better parts! if you got the money now, i would jump all over that!
Sweet I'll have to look into that. Thanks for lookin out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie
4.6L Member

Quote:
oh hey!

our sponsor Modular Racing just posted soemthing about a forged rotating assembly for only $900!! this is actually perfect timing for you! that's only $120 more than what i found on summit for 200% better parts! if you got the money now, i would jump all over that!
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that would you? I've searched for it a bit, but I'm not having any luck finding it.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcderrick View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that would you? I've searched for it a bit, but I'm not having any luck finding it.
I think this is what he is talking about:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ing-899-a.html

This thread was updated 6 days ago...But it doesnt look like it comes with a crankshaft...only rods, pistons, and rings. Maybe it assumes the crankshaft...idk, I would call them.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

To add to the above, MMR makes good stuff. If you buy a new oil pump though from what I've heard the best way to go is stay with oem/Ford - do your homework on that though.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
JonR,
If the crank didn't get torn up already and the bearings are all in place, he shouldn't need a crank unless he plans on boosting it in the near future. I was under the assumption this is a budget build, but you might as well get the best bang for your buck! My father has a 460 bored/stroked to a 514cid pushing like 800ft/lb torque on the factory crankshaft... I don't think there is a problem before boost... Just my two cents

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Quote:
JonR,
If the crank didn't get torn up already and the bearings are all in place, he shouldn't need a crank unless he plans on boosting it in the near future. I was under the assumption this is a budget build, but you might as well get the best bang for your buck! My father has a 460 bored/stroked to a 514cid pushing like 800ft/lb torque on the factory crankshaft... I don't think there is a problem before boost... Just my two cents

Good point. I wasn't saying he shouldn't look into it that kit but it all depends on what's causing his rod knock. Most likely he can re-use his crank and get it re-grinded and rebalanced with the new rods and pistons.

His crank is forged already (i think the 98 Cobras came with a forged crankshaft) so it would hold up to mild boost fairly well.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Even the cast iron crank on these engines will hold to 500+rwhp no problem, so like stated above as long as OP's crank isn't worn or damaged beyond repair by machining then it should be fine.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
Rookie

Hi, you mentioned the shop you go consider home for your car, that are familiar with Mustangs engines and the like. I would consider the
$1600. that they qouted you. Of course clarify the warranty and keep the relationship. A good shop is hard to find for your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine replacement , rebuild engine , rod knock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page