2000 GT 4.6 engine ran without oil - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2000 GT 4.6 engine ran without oil

I took my GT to the mechanic shop to see why the oil pressure drops after driving it for about ten minutes or so. The guy strained the oil out the night before and left the car in the shop. His apprentice started the car next morning cause he needed the space in garage and ran it for about 4 minutes without oil. The knocking came up and to cut the story short, he said I need a new crankshaft or remachined one. Engine still turns and runs rough with knocking sound. Engine was also rebuilt and had 70K on it. What is the best solution for me to change the crankshaft and possibly find more damage on pistons etc??? or just swap the engine. How much labour is involved in swapping this engine and what would be the best place to look for used engine? I am living in Canada so sometimes the shipping options from States don't work...any help is great!!!Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

I think the best thing would be to open the engine and inspect the damage.
Could be as simple as new bearings or the block could be damaged...pistons, crankshaft, rings, rods, etc..
Depending on that you have several options, but the one that would give you less trouble is buying a new or rebuilt short block (worst case scenario).

When you look for a donor 4.6, select one from a 2000 or newer model. Plenty of sources available: crown vics, F trucks, Mustangs, Explorers.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I would be making the shop buy me a new engine...why would anyone drain oil and not put oil in it right after....It's a wonder why I avoid shops at all costs!

I would seriously try talking with the Owner/Manager and seeing what they can do. It's their fault! I would be requesting a new short block at least for my own peace of mind.

Good luck!

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

First I would get form them in writing what happened so they can't change their story later. If it were me that shop would be building a new motor. They messed up bad and there's no way to tell how bad without disassembling the engine. I would not trust any part that contact a bearing for reuse. If they try to make you pay for anything contact an attorney.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
Rookie

What i would do is tell the guy that drained it and forgot to put oil in it after his guy started it, would be to fix the problem with no charge sense hes the one that broke it. I mean i couldn't see why you would be ok with paying for it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!! That shop is responsible for the damage to your engine and will have to fix it at no charge to you-might want to inform your lawyer and keep him on standby.....

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
MACH I Member

Garage
Lawsuits don't work the same way up here as in the US. Costs a fair bit of coin to even file a lawsuit, never mind try to win it.

Shop owner SHOULD be willing to work with you, avoid confrontational type attitudes, just tell them they should atleast cover labor. Sucks it happened.

Trust me guys, WAY different here than in the US as far as laws and liabilities.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Lawsuits don't work the same way up here as in the US. Costs a fair bit of coin to even file a lawsuit, never mind try to win it.

Shop owner SHOULD be willing to work with you, avoid confrontational type attitudes, just tell them they should atleast cover labor. Sucks it happened.

Trust me guys, WAY different here than in the US as far as laws and liabilities.
Wow, so the shop could just shrug their shoulders and suggest the OP go pound sand, and that's it?

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post

Doesn't really matter how lawsuits work, if you handle it professionally and make sure they understand that you aren't going to roll over, the did wrong and they are responsible to make it right. You can make more than enough noise and bad PR that it will be in their best interest to own up to their mistake.

The artist formerly known as SteedaMatt.
PONY Member

Rule 1 of oil changes if there's no oil leave it in the air on the lift......they should replace the entire engine free of charge IMO

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crak88lx View Post
Rule 1 of oil changes if there's no oil leave it in the air on the lift......they should replace the entire engine free of charge IMO

And most of us would agree 110% with common sense such as that. B1LK1's post however suggests that it's a scammer's paradise up there in the Great White North. Hopefully for the OP's sake, the shop is owned and managed by people who are concerned with doing the right thing.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
PONY Member

Yea I hope you get everything sorted out with those " techs" lol

MACH I Member

Garage
Not so much a scammer's paradise, it's just not easy to file a lawsuit. Costs a couple grand+ here in Ontario, but if you win the loser has to pay your legal fees as well.

You just gotta make sure you dot ALL your I's and cross every single solitary T. Stuff like this is he said she said in court.

1988 Mustang LX coupe will miss you greatly
traded for:
2004 Mazda 6s 5 door Sport w/5spd/3.0/RX8wheels/Kon/Eibach/and then some

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page