2006 GT emission issues and problems long read, help - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

2006 GT emission issues and problems long read, help

I really need some advise here guys!

Recently purchased a 2006 Mustang GT, manual from a state that did not require inspections or emissions.

Since PA is one of those communist states that likes to regulate us into inspections and emissions I took the car down to my local shop and it failed emissions due to the common "not ready" test.

I immediately checked to make sure nothing was missing or malested with and all appears stock except for the mufflers which I have no idea what they are because there is no markings on them. I then reset the codes even though there wasn't any thinking it might have been "stuck". Then drove over 300 miles, I still have 3 not ready which are the cat (heated cat passed) o2 and heated 02.

I borrowed a better scan tool and went into real time data which showed me that the cats are working heated to over 900F, upstream o2 are working but the down stream o2 stayed at a constant .8 which I think is dumby data.

My belief is that there is a flash on the computer but I have no way of confirming this that is cutting out the rear o2's or providing dumby data. I called my local Ford dealership to see what it would cost to have them reflash the computer to stock which is $79.99 plus tax.

I also called American Muscle to see if I could purchase one of the SCT scan tool reflash to there street mode to pass emissions then reflash to a performance after I get the emission sticker. I was informed that when I use the device it takes the current flash and consideres this the Stock which I cannot confirm. They recommend that I call SCT and have them provide a "stock" flash that AM can program into the scan tool. SCT informed me that I have to have the scan tool on the car for them to aquire the information to provide the correct stock flash.

So do I:

1. Buy the scan tool reflash to there street mode and hope that resolves the issue?
2. Find a local shop that determine what the heck is going on?
3. Take it to the dealership and have them flash a stock tune on it?
4. Have one of you guys give me a great suggestion I have not thought of yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013
Rookie

Coming from the fascist more than the communist province of British Columbia in Canada, I have to go through this every single year as the Air Care inspections are finally coming to an end in 2015! Anything else than stock tuning of your car won't pass through these inspections. Check your O2 sensor and catalyst converter which are usually the common cause of the problem. I don't see a problem if your cat is still on, but you changed the muffler from stock?
Remember; even if you tune it back to stock, without catalyst converter you are fried. Sometimes people switch their perf mufflers for stock mufflers just for the test and then they put their perf muffler back on once their car has passed. Hopefully they won't keep the emission tests for much too longer!!!

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by airluchador View Post
Coming from the fascist more than the communist province of British Columbia in Canada, I have to go through this every single year as the Air Care inspections are finally coming to an end in 2015!
Lol when I bought my car the guy got it Aircared until December 2014 so I am good with whatever the heck I want! Haha

But yeah +1 on the checking o2 sensors and cats. If your muffler isn't stock I believe that it shouldn't change too much with emissions, not my expertise though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page