Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
03 Gt dead battery

On my 03 gt that i finished a couple of months ago(V6toGTswap).2 weeks i went to go to the store and the battery was dead-old battery,so i bought a new one=Autozone Platinum,their Optima copy.It done fine for about a week and then again,dead battery.So after running some test,figured alt.was bad.Got new alt.charging system passed,running great,no problems.Went out yesterday,dead battery. I did add a Bama tune and recently re-tuned.Going to check it out today-any ideas would be great.Seems to be a slow drain-i only drive this car 1-2 times per week.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

Last edited by heavy metal; 11-29-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy metal View Post
On my 03 gt that i finished a couple of months ago(V6toGTswap).2 weeks i went to go to the store and the battery was dead-old battery,so i bought a new one=Autozone Platinum,their Optima copy.It done fine for about a week and then again,dead battery.So after running some test,figured alt.was bad.Got new alt.charging system passed,running great,no problems.Went out yesterday,dead battery. I did add a Bama tune and recently re-tuned.Going to check it out today-any ideas would be great.Seems to be a slow drain-i only drive this car 1-2 times per week.
heavy metal,

Sounds like you have some excessive battery drain while the engine is off. What kind of aftermarket electronics are mounted on or within the car? Anything that should be running on a relay instead or basic wiring?

You would be surprised all that it takes to drain a battery completely dead when the engine is shut off. Only a few plugged in electronics or one electronic that requires a heavy load!

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013 Thread Starter
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I have a double din in it,but i used the right adapter plug set for it.I have interior and underglow lights,thay are on toggle switches.Backup camera wired into lights.I have double-double checked and i left nothing on.....

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Do you have an ampprobe dmm? Hook it around the "+" cable with everything shut off so you can verify the drain. Then, one at a time, remove and replace fuses, checking the reading on your dmm each time. When it drops to "0", then there's your faulty circuit and you can go from there. Remove the dome lamp while you're going through this process so that you're only observing the drain from the faulty circuit.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2V View Post
Do you have an ampprobe dmm? Hook it around the "+" cable with everything shut off so you can verify the drain. Then, one at a time, remove and replace fuses, checking the reading on your dmm each time. When it drops to "0", then there's your faulty circuit and you can go from there. Remove the dome lamp while you're going through this process so that you're only observing the drain from the faulty circuit.
This method i have done before,thanks for reminding me.I will try to do it today and see what i find. Interior light messed up on me about a week after i finished the car,it would not go off,so i took out the bulb.Yall think that circuit could be the problem?

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

Last edited by heavy metal; 11-30-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy metal View Post
Interior light messed up on me about a week after i finished the car,it would not go off,so i took out the bulb.Yall think that circuit could be the problem?
For sure sounds like a problem, but if the bulb isn't there to create a draw I don't think it's the problem.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I did not have a amp probe-multimeter did not come with it.So i unhooked the neg. cable and put my multimeter leads on the battery neg. and the neg. cable-showed 11.64 volts-went through and undone every fuse one by one and seen no difference in volts.I am stumped here.So i installed a battery shut-off switch for now until i figure it out.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

Last edited by heavy metal; 11-30-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: smiley problem
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

That sucks. If you have one around, I would use a battery tender instead of a cut-off so you don't have to deal with everything resetting (especially KAM) all the time.

And would be difficult to detect the bad circuit when observing voltage. When a circuit is connected to a power source (battery in this case), voltage will (or should) remain constant - like if you check for power at a taillamp bulb socket and observe 12.6V, and then install the bulb, turn it on and then backprobe the socket you would still see the same 12.6V. But current (amperage) on the other hand, would only be present with the bulb installed and turned on.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Going to check on getting a amp probe attachment for my multimeter.I used a heavy duty race car style cut-off switch and mounted it outside hidden-easy to get to.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page