typhoon manifold instalation - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

typhoon manifold instalation

i was going to order this typhoon manifold of off american muscle. but while reading the reviews it wasnt looking good kind of made me think the manifold is a piece of junk . they said the manifold is very fragile and u must b carefull during the instalation to not strip it, that you must file down sections of the manifold to fit properly and not to mention it doesnt even have a heater core hose just a hole with no threads? what do they want me to do with that? its on americanmuscle.com just type in typhoon manifold. i dont want to buy another plastic one and this one seems fairly priced compaired to some of these other ones just wana know are they worth the hastle and how to instal the heater core hose 2 one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
I have never installed one of those,but it sounds like a hassle.I bought a Procomp aluminum intake for mine.There was some fitment issues on the lower rear of it that i had to grind some.The heater fitting was there and no problem,installed great with no issues otherwise.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
GT Member

1. You get what you pay for.

2. You are not going to benefit from an aftermarket aluminum intake.

3. Your best bet on an intake is to stick with the FRPP PI intake and only that intake.

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isnít so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

If you absolutely cannot bring yourself to buy another PI intake, your best option is to look on Ebay for an '01 Bullitt intake. They are pricey - I usually see them for around $500+, but they are made from cast aluminum, fit perfect because they are an oem part, and you will get decent gains throughout the rpm range (probably about +15 hp peak). This is one part I really wish Ford would reproduce.

Another option that looks interesting, but I haven't heard much about, is the Trick Flow 'Street Heat' manifold. From the outside it looks almost identical to the Bullitt manifold, I'm not sure how it performs though so you'll need to look into that. Fitment and overall quality should be good with anything Trick Flow.

Yet another option is Edelbrock Vic Jr. manifold.... Fitment is good and install pretty straightforward, but pretty sure it's a little nore involved than just a manifold swap - IIRC, the stock fuel rails are not compatible with it.

As far as performance, unless you have heads and cams (at a minimum) to realize the additional airflow, you're not going to beat the stock PI or Bullitt intake though. At least in terms of discussing the Typhoon or Vic Jr. intakes, like I said I'm not positive how the Street Heat compares to the stocker. There's a reason that pretty much only people with built engines have aftermarket manifolds. And even then, the composite PI is still good to about 500 hp.

And I wasn't aware of all the various issues you mentioned about the Typhoon - all I'd heard was the casting was a little sloppy and as a result the ports needed to be cleaned up prior to install. Can't say I'm surprised though, as it is not known to be a well engineered piece.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
GT Member

SoCal basically went above and beyond on what I had to say (minus the Bullitt intake) which was simple and straight forward. You can use the search function and see all the talks about these aftermarket intakes and what the real info is on them.

You can run whatever tickles your fancy but I would stick with PI intake. Take my motor for example. 12:1 compression, Modular Head Shop stage 3 PI heads w/ stage 3 N/A cams. I'm still running the PI intake and it makes good power. My peak torque is consistent from 3800-4800 rpm's. Peak HP is steady from 4800-5800 rpm's and it pulls pretty damn hard at that point. The PI intake isn't good for much more than that high 5000-6000 rpm range. That's why people run these aftermarket intakes like the Edelbrock's and Bullitt's and benefit from them. Now I could run the Edelbrock now and see gains on up but I'm safe in my rpm range considering rpm's would be the end of my stock rotating assembly. So I'm safe at my rpm range and running a aftermarket intake would just cause me to suffer power in the lower range.

That's just my advice to you. Take it how you want.

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

well i live in ca so i will have to get something that will pass smog visually n with the right numbers i know the edelbrock vic jr is not ca legal , do u know if the street heat one is? at this point im jus going to throw the ford raceing one on
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
GT Member

I would call Trick Flow and ask them. Right now Summit Racing has that intake 10% off. So if you are serious now is probably the time to call and get that info. I would have to say that the reason in my mind the Edelbrock intake is not Cali legal is because it is designed for race applications and designed to be used with a race style elbow which deletes the EGR. In my case I have my EGR deleted and I don't have to worry about emissions either.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...view/make/ford

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page