will a new catback system get the nice deep sound back? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
LercinStang

will a new catback system get the nice deep sound back?

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend

he's got a 99 GT that he recently bought used, but the exhaust sound like Crap!!

The dealer said its a flowmasters exhaust, but I had flowmasters before and Love them, but this just sounds like crap.

It's very Loud, but just a really gross sound, doesn't even sound like a v8, and doesn't have that nice deep rumble.

The car still has the cats on so we are assuming the previous owner didn't mess too much with the exhaust, and we aren't seeing any exhaust leaks or any other problems with the car... so if we just bolt on a new catback system, would it give us a nice sound?

I had this system on my 04 GT, and I loved it.

Pypes Violator Catback Exhaust SFM27V (98-04 GT, Mach 1) - Free Shipping SFM27V

so he was thinking of ordering it for his car.

also btw, the catback exhaust system he has now looks pretty worn out and old, do you think that could affect the exhaust note? We going for the clean deep VRooooooommmm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013
GT Member

Can you get a picture of the exhaust? I'm actually curious as what it looks like and he actually has. Everyone has their own taste in exhaust. I like h pipes and o/r h pipes with flowmaster 40 series. I have Pypes long tube headers, pypes shorty mid pipe, flowmaster 40 series dumped. I wouldn't trade the sound for any other cat back on the market. I'm more of a deep classic muscle car sound than the raspy sound you get from the x pipes and resonators. That is just my own opinion tho.

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
Free speech isnít so free when it comes to protected classes and races, is it?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Your friend should go "youtubing" for exhaust setups until he finds something he likes. I personally recommend Borla Stingers or Magnaflow Magnapacks combined with an H-pipe (preferably O/R).

I suggest you first find out what setup his car has right now before making any move.

2003 Mustang GT - 5 speed 251rwhp, 309 ftlbs rwtq:
Mods: FRPP 3.73 Gears, O/r H-pipe(2.5"), Magnapacks, JLT CAI, McLeod Street Pro Clutch Kit, Steel Flywheel, Steeda Clutch Adjuster Kit, Steeda Tri-Ax Short-Throw Shifter, UPR Full Length Subframe Connectors, UPR Lower Control Arms, 31-spline Moser Axles, Yukon Dura-grip 31-spline Differential Carrier, Dyno Tune.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013
LercinStang

yeah we both listened to the pypes set up that i linked earlier, and its the sound he wants.

So if he ordered that catback system and installed it, would he get the sound or are there other parts that may be making the car sound like crap?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013
GT Member

Well on our cars you have a mid pipe before the catback which can make a car sound different. Also going from stock manifolds to long tube headers made a huge difference in my exhaust sound. If you like the classic muscle car sound I would steer clear of all the resonator/straight through style mufflers. Those give you nothing like that true deep classic muscle car sound. I have always found flows and magnaflows to do the best jobs for that.

Like stated above tho you need to get on youtube. If you don't have any emission bs then I suggest getting a o/r h pipe with whatever mufflers you want or he wants. I'll try to get a video of my exhaust so that way you can get an idea.

Life is to short to live it pissed off cherish who and what you got while you can!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013
GT Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21VcE_fBpuM

Here is a short idle clip of my car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page