Ford Mustang Forum banner

04 GT exhaust upgrade questions on budget

764 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DJAlsip 
#1 ·
I recently acquired an 04 GT that isn't quite loud enough for my looking. It does have flowmaster 40 mufflers I think but stock otherwise I think. What can I do to make it sound a bit more aggressive? Prior have mentioned off road x pipes but I don't want to purchase tuner or use mil elims at this time. Will I have check engine light issues if the pipe has bungs for o2 sensors? Or what mufflers may be abbit louder. Thanks.

#2 ·
Pypes M80s sound really good in my opinion. I just ordered mine, but I have an O/R X. They sound decent with the stock H pipe and cats. Just youtube these mufflers on mustangs and you'll see some good videos. sounds good. and they're dirt cheap. $45 a piece on american muscle. they're definitely louder than flowmasters. that what I have now too, and I am just so tired of the chambered muffler sound.

#4 ·
He most likely has a tuner, MIL's, or just deals with the CEL.

If you want you car to be louder and on a budget than mufflers is the only way to go. MIL's are only $60 (and you can make them yourself for a fraction of that cost) and an O/R xpipe are as cheap as $150 at some places, just need to install it yourself. It really not that expensive...but I understand being on a budget!

I have the Pypes M-80s and they are a lot louder than stock, but are awfully droney at times...just keep that in mind.

Any bullet style, straight-through muffler will be the way to go.

#6 ·
I have a MAC O/R H-Pipe on my Mustang. At the time I had no money left over from school, car, etc. so I made my own MIL's. I already had a soldering iron ($10-20), so I just paid about $5-6 for the parts I needed. Soldered it all up in about 10 minutes and put heat shrink tubing over to isolate everything. Re-installed the rear O2 sensors and plugged it all in, the CEL disappeared and has never come back. You'll find a wire diagram/instructions on this forum if you do a search. All the parts you need can be purchased at a Radioshack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.