shock/strut replacement - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Ford just added the quadshocks because the junky factory control arms wheel hopped like crazy without them. Upgrade to these and you'll have better handling, better grip, and no need for quad shocks:

79-04 Mustang Chrome Moly Urethane Control Arm Package
Not to hijack the thread, but Sharad, are you able to give me a good deal on a set of LCA's, and possibly UCA's? I want to do control arms along with new ball joints this summer.

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
Performance: BAMA 93R Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears w/ Terminator spec T-Lok.
Planned Mods: FLSFC, Eibach Sway Bars, Throttle Body, Plenum, Rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

anybody heard of touring tech performance shocks/struts? they are meant for oem springs or lowering springs....

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but Sharad, are you able to give me a good deal on a set of LCA's, and possibly UCA's? I want to do control arms along with new ball joints this summer.
Absolutely. Drop me a PM and I'll hook you up. Right now we have a 13% off sale going on. And I can throw in a free t-shirt too!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!

GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Absolutely. Drop me a PM and I'll hook you up. Right now we have a 13% off sale going on. And I can throw in a free t-shirt too!
Wish I could get it now, but I am 30000 feet over sea level on my way back to Europe now. I'll be back in July!

2003 Mustang GT
Intake & Exhaust: K&N FIPK CAI, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Custom Catback w/ Magnaflow Magnapack Mufflers.
Suspension: H&R Super Sport Springs, KONI STR.T Shocks & Struts, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit, UPR Elite LCA's & UCA's.
BOSS Member

with regards to shocks.....IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications

2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability

3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.

4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

5) Monroe- stay away from that junk!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post

2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability

3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-Gs (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.

best info i received here, thanks!

i ended up with tbe gr2's
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:

3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-Gs (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.

Great info, but what Koni's are you referring to as overpriced? The STR.T's for our Mustangs are definitely not overpriced, they are cheaper than Tokico and Bilstein, and just a tad more expensive than KYB. I have the Koni STR.T's on all four corners and I love them, but they do give quite a stiff ride, which in my opinion is a good thing. That depends more on what you want from the car though, point being I was on a budget and got those because they were cheap and had great reviews.

2003 Mustang GT
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAlsip View Post
Wish I could get it now, but I am 30000 feet over sea level on my way back to Europe now. I'll be back in July!
I'll hook you up when you get back.

Quote:

^^ Strange 10-ways are notably absent from that list.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page