Accurate temperature gauge install reading - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Accurate temperature gauge install reading

I bought a SVE mechanical water temperature gauge, and I am wondering if I will get an accurate reading from the drain plug on the block? And where can I get the most accurate reading at? I would install it in place of my stock unit but Ive heard the computers reads off that unit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014
GT Member
5.0L Member

I'm not sure where the temp sender is on the 4.6 you could look into getting a T fitting and install both sending units into that one fitting.

2013 Mustang GT, Track Pack, Recaro Seats, MT82, GT500 Axle Back, Boss 302 Quad Exhaust, Transmission Bushing Insert, MGW Shifter, Steeda Shift Knob, GT500 Spoiler, MMD Hood Struts, CPC Battery Covers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Your actually suppose to tap it into the drain port on the block. the issue with using the "Y" and connecting both sensors is the sensor wont be submerged in coolant and you will get weird numbers. my advice, just put it place of the factory, the factory is dummy gauge anyways, I'd rather have an accurate gauge then a tiny needle thats not accurate.

[COLOR="Black"][B]2004[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Torch red[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]mach 1[/COLOR] Cams, mac long tubes, lethal offroad X, magnaflow IRS exhaust, strange front coil overs, strange 14" 175lb springs, 4.30's, FRPP 31 spline differential, Moser 31 spline axles, steeda tri-ax, exedy 2 clutch, FRPP throw out, FRPP pilot bearing, MM clutch goodies, K&N poly intake, SCT tuned

[B][COLOR="black"]1996[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="DarkRed"] Lazer red GT[/COLOR], 2002 Pi swapped, stage 1 cams, shift kit, ram air intake, UPR offroad X, flowmaster dumps, 125 wet shot...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

That's what I was thinking. Putting it in place of the stock sender, but a lot of people say its bad because the computer reads off of the sensor.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I've never had an issue.

[COLOR="Black"][B]2004[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Torch red[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]mach 1[/COLOR] Cams, mac long tubes, lethal offroad X, magnaflow IRS exhaust, strange front coil overs, strange 14" 175lb springs, 4.30's, FRPP 31 spline differential, Moser 31 spline axles, steeda tri-ax, exedy 2 clutch, FRPP throw out, FRPP pilot bearing, MM clutch goodies, K&N poly intake, SCT tuned

[B][COLOR="black"]1996[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="DarkRed"] Lazer red GT[/COLOR], 2002 Pi swapped, stage 1 cams, shift kit, ram air intake, UPR offroad X, flowmaster dumps, 125 wet shot...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What year is your car? And yours in the stock location on the aluminum crossover?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014
PONY Member
4.6L Member

96 GT and my 04 mach. stock locations. no issue with either.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

okay awesome thanks man. I'm going to try and get to it this weekend.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

also, does the stock sending unit have anything to do with the electric fan coming on and off?
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I dunno. Like I said, mine worked and never had an issue. if your really worried why not just tap it into the block on the drivers side?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well a few other guys told me that it might be off a little going into the block. Anyway I'm gonna try it if you haven't had a problem then I shouldn't.

PONY Member
4.6L Member

Why would it be off in the block compared to the stock sending location? either way it is still immersed in coolant. the block is the PREFERRED location.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page