rear Mach 460 amp - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

Now I'm confused more than ever. Did the front subs ever work, or are they not working now once you pulled the plug on the drivers side rear amp? What type of head unit do you have? High powered? I'll bounce around Crutchfield, but I can't see how it could bypass one amp and not all. Stay tuned fans......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

sorry to be so confusing...........when i bought the car i never bothered to listen to the door speakers to see if they ever worked.......just assumed they did because the window panel tweeters were.........so to answer your question they dont work now..........not sure if its because of the amp bypass plug or not........when i unplug the drivers side rear amp.........all the speakers work except the door speakers which dont work no matter if the amp plug is in or out...........the passenger side amp plug is missing the bottom piece to push up to pull the plug out so i couldnt get it out by just pulling on it...........i am curious to unplug it though to see if all the speakers still work..............that would mean that all the amps are bypassed?

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

I have a high powered JVC head unit..........i think like 50 watts per channel RMS............so in essence is my head unit amplifying my speakers now? But like i said my passanger amp makes a noise sometimes and when u wiggle the plug it goes away so that would mean that its still hooked up, correct?

SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member

No, it's not your fault about the confusion. I'm more puzzled about the amps. I'm thinking your amps must be bypassed simply because it doesn't make a differnece if your amps are plugged in, yet vibrating the plug changes the tones. Hmmmm. You would definitely notice the difference if the front door subs were not working. They thump pretty well under normal conditions, unless they rigged it somehow.
I looked around on Crutchfield, and the only harness that I found was for a basic radio set-up. You just plug it into the stock harness, and wire it to your radio. It would use the basic wiring structure, but not sure if it would go to your amps. The mach system uses low voltage signals to the amps, not typical wattage to speakers. Did you have alot of distortion when turning it up?

2002 V6 Turbo 10:[email protected]
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:[email protected]
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

Shiner.........if you go to www.crutchfield.com and type in ford amp bypass under keyword search at the top it will yield 2 results. I have one of those wire harnesses that have an amp bypass plug. It says this harness bypasses your factory amplifier. So are all 3 of my amps bypassed? What is amplifying my speakers now? My head unit or nothing? That still doesnt explain why all my speakers work except for both front door spearkers..........like i said i dont know if they worked before i switched out head units but they dont work now................How can i test them to see what is going on?

Also i wiggled that black plug on my stock passanger amp and pulled it towards me a bit and that speaker hissing or whining hasnt been there for 2 days now...........
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006 Thread Starter
4.6L Member

last night i decided to pull both my door panels off to check my speakers..........i was wrong........my passanger side door speaker works but my drivers side door speaker doesnt. I thought it might be blown....i dedided to swap speakers to see if the passenger one would work in the drivers side. It doesnt work either.........so is it safe to say that the speaker isnt blown? What the hell would cause only one door speaker to work and the other not if it isnt blown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzepp300
last night i decided to pull both my door panels off to check my speakers..........i was wrong........my passanger side door speaker works but my drivers side door speaker doesnt. I thought it might be blown....i dedided to swap speakers to see if the passenger one would work in the drivers side. It doesnt work either.........so is it safe to say that the speaker isnt blown? What the hell would cause only one door speaker to work and the other not if it isnt blown?

The only thing I can say is that your back amps are 2 channel, but they aren't R/L they are Front/Back, so if you really want to test, balance it all to the driver side, then fade it all up front. If all sound goes away, your amp isn't pushing that channel. I'm telling you though, the best thing you can do is rip and replace all that wiring. Well, you can just lay over the top of the standard wiring if you want, but only use the wiring harness from the car for power and accesory power and ground etc... Run new speaker wires to all your speakers. and you won't be able to do tweeters unless you buy new component speaker systems that have crossovers. Unfortunately the mach 460 had a separate amplifier for:

1. right side (front and back) sub/mids
2. left side (front and back) sub/mids
3. tweeters all the way around

Dumbest setup I've ever heard. Why can these companies just use standards????
Apprentice

K I have a similar problem. I bought a 99 cobra and the guy I bought it from kept the aftermarket sub and amp and didnt reconnect the amps. I have no clue how to reinstall these amps and without them in the rear speakers dont sound that great and the front ones are real quite.

Red '99 Cobra
JLT rai, clutch, tri ax shifter, LT headers, o/r X pipe with flowmaster cat back, SCT tune from BAMA
13.8 @ 102
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJam View Post
The only thing I can say is that your back amps are 2 channel, but they aren't R/L they are Front/Back, so if you really want to test, balance it all to the driver side, then fade it all up front. If all sound goes away, your amp isn't pushing that channel. I'm telling you though, the best thing you can do is rip and replace all that wiring. Well, you can just lay over the top of the standard wiring if you want, but only use the wiring harness from the car for power and accesory power and ground etc... Run new speaker wires to all your speakers. and you won't be able to do tweeters unless you buy new component speaker systems that have crossovers. Unfortunately the mach 460 had a separate amplifier for:

1. right side (front and back) sub/mids
2. left side (front and back) sub/mids
3. tweeters all the way around

Dumbest setup I've ever heard. Why can these companies just use standards????
The Mach 460 system in my 03 Mach 1 uses the drivers side amp for the front right and left mid/subs and the passenger side amp for the rear right and left mid/subs. The head unit powers all 4 tweeters.

just my 2 cents,
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to cogdillb Send a message via Yahoo to cogdillb
Look up double grounding on google. If it sounds like a constant whine like with engine rpm. My stang did that when I replaced the amp in it. Hope this helps.

Brandon Cogdill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in